What is the Condition for a Unique Solution in a Complex Functional Equation?

In summary, if f(z) is a possibly complex valued function of a complex valued function of a complex number z, satisfying a functional equation of the form af(z)+bf(\omega ^2 z)=g(z) for all z in C, then f(z) can be uniquely determined if a+b=0.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose f(z) is a possibly complex valued function of a complex valued function of a complex number z, which satisfies a functional equation of the form [itex]af(z)+bf(\omega ^2 z)=g(z)[/itex] for all z in C, where a and b are some fixed complex numbers and g(z) is some function of z and ω is cube root of unity (ω≠1), then f(z) can be determined uniquely if
a)a+b=0
b)a^2+b^2≠0
c)a^3+b^3≠0
d)a^3+b^3=0

The Attempt at a Solution

If I substitute ω^2z in place of z the equation reduces to
[itex]af(\omega ^2 z) + bf(\omega z) = g(\omega ^2 z)[/itex]

Now if I add both eqns [itex]f(\omega ^2 z)(a+b)+af(z)+bf(\omega z)=g(z)+g(\omega ^2 z) [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Suppose f(z) is a possibly complex valued function of a complex valued function of a complex number z, which satisfies a functional equation of the form [itex]af(z)+bf(\omega ^2 z)=g(z)[/itex] for all z in C, where a and b are some fixed complex numbers and g(z) is some function of z and ω is cube root of unity (ω≠1), then f(z) can be determined uniquely if
a)a+b=0
b)a^2+b^2≠0
c)a^3+b^3≠0
d)a^3+b^3=0

The Attempt at a Solution

If I substitute ω^2z in place of z the equation reduces to
[itex]af(\omega ^2 z) + bf(\omega z) = g(\omega ^2 z)[/itex]

Good start.

You have three unknowns [itex]f(z), f(\omega z), f(\omega^2 z)[/itex], so to determine them uniquely you need three equations. You have the original functional equation and the result of substituting [itex]\omega^2 z[/itex] in place of z; can you think of a way to obtain a third equation?

pasmith said:
Good start.

You have three unknowns [itex]f(z), f(\omega z), f(\omega^2 z)[/itex], so to determine them uniquely you need three equations. You have the original functional equation and the result of substituting [itex]\omega^2 z[/itex] in place of z; can you think of a way to obtain a third equation?

I substituted ωz in place of z.

[itex]af(\omega z) + bf(z) = g(\omega z)[/itex]

Now If I add all the three eqns I get

[itex](a+b)(f(z)+f(\omega z)+f(\omega ^2 z))=g(z)+g(\omega z)+g(\omega ^2 z)[/itex]

utkarshakash said:
I substituted ωz in place of z.

[itex]af(\omega z) + bf(z) = g(\omega z)[/itex]

Now If I add all the three eqns I get

[itex](a+b)(f(z)+f(\omega z)+f(\omega ^2 z))=g(z)+g(\omega z)+g(\omega ^2 z)[/itex]

You have
[tex]
af(z) + bf(\omega^2 z) = g(z) \\
af(\omega z) + bf(z) = g(\omega z) \\
af(\omega^2 z) + bf(\omega z) = g(\omega^2 z)
[/tex]
which is a system of linear simultaneous equations for the unknowns [itex]f(z), f(\omega z), f(\omega^2 z)[/itex]. What condition do [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] have to satisfy for this linear system to have a unique solution?

Related to What is the Condition for a Unique Solution in a Complex Functional Equation?

1. What is a complex functional equation?

A complex functional equation is an equation that involves complex numbers and functions. These equations can have multiple variables and can be used to describe relationships between different mathematical objects.

2. What are some examples of complex functional equations?

Some examples of complex functional equations include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Riemann zeta function, and the gamma function. These equations are used in various branches of mathematics, such as complex analysis and number theory.

3. How are complex functional equations solved?

Solving complex functional equations can often be challenging and require advanced mathematical techniques. Some common methods include using substitution, iteration, and the Cauchy integral theorem. It is also important to understand the properties of complex numbers and functions to effectively solve these equations.

4. What applications do complex functional equations have?

Complex functional equations have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model real-world phenomena, such as electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They also play a crucial role in the study of complex systems and chaos theory.

5. Are there any open problems related to complex functional equations?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved equations in the field of complex functional equations. Some of these problems have been unsolved for decades and continue to be the subject of ongoing research and study. Some examples include the Riemann hypothesis and the inverse Galois problem.