What Is the Centripetal Acceleration of a Race Car on a Circular Track?

In summary, a student is seeking help with a physics problem involving a race car moving at a constant speed on a circular track. They are specifically asking for help with understanding the formula and solving the problem, not just the answer. The problem involves finding the car's centripetal acceleration and may also involve tangential and angular velocity.
marla
HELP...new physical science student seeking to understand physics. Can you help me with this problem

A race car goes around a level, circular track with a diameer of 1.00 km at a constant speed of 90.0 km/h. What is the car's centripetal acceleration in m/s2?

Marla

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi marla,
marla said:
HELP...new physical science student seeking to understand physics. Can you help me with this problem
Seeking to understand, or just want the solution to the problem...?:rolleyes:

Either way, please observe the forum template;

i need help with the formula to solve this problem. I know this is probably a super simple question but I am a struggling science student that really wants to be successful in this class. Don't just want the answer...want to understand how to solve.

Would it help if I told you that centripetal acceleration is somehow related to tangential and angular velocity?

Related to What Is the Centripetal Acceleration of a Race Car on a Circular Track?

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in its circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal acceleration is the apparent outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal acceleration is not a real force, but rather an apparent force due to the inertia of the object.

4. How does changing the velocity affect centripetal acceleration?

As the velocity of an object moving in a circular path increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. This is because the object is moving faster and thus requires a greater force to maintain its circular path. Conversely, decreasing the velocity will result in a decrease in centripetal acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration include the Earth's rotation around the sun, the motion of a satellite in orbit around a planet, and the movement of a car around a curved track. Any object moving in a circular path or orbit experiences centripetal acceleration.