What is the best way to prove basic set theory statements?

In summary: I guess that's enough for this summary.In summary, the homework statement states that if S is a subset of T, then T - (T - S) is also a subset of S. This is proved by showing that each set on either side of the equality is a subset of the other.
lockedup

Homework Statement

I'm working on some set theory stuff to prepare for Topology next semester. I'm actually working out of a Topology book from Dover Publications. I could really use some direction/correction.

1. If S ⊂ T, then T - (T - S) = S.

2. If S is any set, then ∅ ⊂ S.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Let x ∈ (S ⊂ T). Therefore, x ∉ (T – S). If x ∉ (T – S), then x ∈ T – (T – S). But x ∈ (S ⊂ T). Therefore, S ⊂ (T - (T - S))
Let x ∈ (T - (T - S)). This implies that x ∉ (T – S). Which implies that x ∈ S. Therefore, T – (T – S) ⊂ S and T - (T - S) = S.

2. A set A is a subset of a set S if every element of A is in S. If A is ∅, then A has no elements. Therefore all of its elements are in S.

Physics news on Phys.org
VENN diagram-wise #1 true. S is a subset of T so T - S is T without S which looks like a donut on a VENN diagram. T minus the set (T - S) takes away all of T except for those elements in S hence T - (T - S) is S.

I think your proofs look okay and nicely done too.

For every element x of S you concluded that x is also an element of T - (T - S) and hence S is a subset of T - (T - S). Similarly for every x element of T - (T - S) you concluded that x is also an element of S and hence T - (T - S) is a subset of S. Finally you concluded that when S is a subset of T - (T - S) and when T - (T - S) is a subset of S then these two sets must be equal hence T - (T - S) = S .

Can one use Venn diagrams as proofs? I've heard that's a no-no...

I don't know if VENN diagrams are accepted as proof. I would think no because of the issues on set set boundaries like is a given point inside or outside the set.Conceptually though they help to visualize the truth of the statement so you know beforehand that it is in fact provable.

Ultimately, only rigorous way I know is to use inclusions: Show A=B if every x in A is contained in B, and viceversa.

So, e.g., if x is in S, is x also in T-(T-S)? If y is in T-(T-S) , is y in S?

Maybe a bit tedious, but maybe you'll get used to it after a while. I can't think of a better way. But then start with the parentheses: x is in T-S. Then x is not in S. Then we apply
T-(T-S): elements of T-(T-S) are in T, but not in T-S.

A good way of determining if a suggested equality holds, is to test if it holds for a couple of randomly-chosen elements. Of course, it is not a proof, but , if equality holds, then you should consider a proof first.

lockedup said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Let x ∈ (S ⊂ T).

To begin, this is a meaningless expression (that is, if the symbol "⊂" is the proper subset symbol- which I expect it is).

Your proof should begin as follows:

Suppose S ⊂ T. {from here, show that T - (T - S) = S by proving both directions (that is, that each set on either side of the equality is a subset of the other}

2. This proof follows by the vacuous truth resulting from the logical form of the statement.

Syrus said:
To begin, this is a meaningless expression (that is, if the symbol "⊂" is the proper subset symbol- which I expect it is).

Your proof should begin as follows:

Suppose S ⊂ T. {from here, show that T - (T - S) = S by proving both directions (that is, that each set on either side of the equality is a subset of the other}

I was just going by the pattern in my book. My book proved DeMorgan's laws this way. It starts out "Suppose x [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\bigcup[/itex](T - Si)..."

Ah, but that is quite different than what you have above, however. The statement x ∈ ⋃(T - Si) is valid since it asserts that x is an element of the set union of T - Si [⋃(T - Si), which IS a set]. Your previous post contains a nonsense expression since (S ⊂ T) is a statement about the sets S and T, and is not itself a set.

Syrus said:
Ah, but that is quite different than what you have above, however. The statement x ∈ ⋃(T - Si) is valid since it asserts that x is an element of the set union of T - Si [⋃(T - Si), which IS a set]. Your previous post contains a nonsense expression since (S ⊂ T) is a statement about the sets S and T, and is not itself a set.

I imagine it may be shorthand for x is a element of S, which ( meaning S) is a subset of T, but I guess the author should explain so.

Sorry, lockedup, that I did not read your OP, and my suggestion is then exactly what you
were doing initially.

Bacle2 said:
I imagine it may be shorthand for x is a element of S, which ( meaning S) is a subset of T, but I guess the author should explain so.

Sorry, lockedup, that I did not read your OP, and my suggestion is then exactly what you
were doing initially.

This is what I meant. I guess I need to work on my use of notation.

Related to What is the best way to prove basic set theory statements?

1. What is set theory and why is it important?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is important because it provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and calculus, and has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and economics.

2. What are the basic operations in set theory?

The basic operations in set theory are union, intersection, and complement. Union combines elements from two or more sets to form a new set. Intersection finds the common elements between two or more sets. Complement finds the elements in a set that are not in another set.

3. What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set. A proper subset is a subset that contains some, but not all, of the elements of another set. In other words, a proper subset is a subset that is not equal to the original set.

4. How do you prove that two sets are equal?

To prove that two sets are equal, you need to show that they have the same elements. This can be done by showing that every element in one set is also in the other set, and vice versa. This is known as the "element method" of proving set equality.

5. What is the difference between an axiom and a theorem in set theory?

An axiom is a statement that is accepted as true without proof. It serves as a basic starting point for building the theory. A theorem, on the other hand, is a statement that is proven using axioms and other theorems. It is a logical consequence of the axioms and is used to further develop the theory.