What is the best way to learn calculus?

• Studying
  • Thread starter victorhugo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of mastering prerequisite knowledge in algebra and trigonometry before learning calculus. It is suggested to find a good textbook or online course to learn the concepts and to practice solving numerical exercises. It is also recommended to find a study partner to discuss and clarify concepts.
victorhugo
I didn't take calculus at school so I'm going to learn it during summer holidays before doing it at uni.
The thing is, the only reason I got so good at General Mathematics is because I didn't follow the step by step to doing a problem and just remembering the rules, I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...
Is this applicable to Calculus? Which books would teach similarly?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...
Yes, and, books are not good at answering whatever question you try to ask.
I'd suggest finding lots of examples and trying an online set of notes about the rules like Paul's Calculus.

Likes victorhugo
victorhugo said:
I didn't take calculus at school so I'm going to learn it during summer holidays before doing it at uni.
The thing is, the only reason I got so good at General Mathematics is because I didn't follow the step by step to doing a problem and just remembering the rules, I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...

Thank you in advance!
First take care of the prerequisite knowledge. Learn elementary and intermediate algebra very well. Be sure you are not fooling yourself about that. Go through courses for real. Once done, go through a semester course on Trigonometry, preferably a real course; not just through self-directed study. Keep everything in a well-learned state. You should be ready for a course on Calculus, to learn about limits and derivatives and to begin learning about integration. If you are trying this in a self-directed manner, find any typical good textbook, like as written by Larson & Hostetler, or whatever anyone suggests as a beginners textbook which you may find.

Likes victorhugo
Simon Bridge said:
Yes, and, books are not good at answering whatever question you try to ask.
I'd suggest finding lots of examples and trying an online set of notes about the rules like Paul's Calculus.
When I said " Which books would teach similarly?" We can leave out the part about asking questions, i was just hoping you'd see the learning style I want :)

Some of our students are having great success with the online Calculus One course (free) taught by an Ohio State prof through Coursera as a practice run before taking an accredited university 1st semester Calculus course.

It is good to clear the concept first. Mastering calculus also needs a lot of practice solving all kinds of numerical exercises. You need to have sound knowledge of Trigonometry and Algebra.There are ample online and offline material available for this. For beginners I also recommend Khan academy videos.

victorhugo said:
I took the time to ask lots of questions to teachers to find the logic behind formulas etc...

I'll disagree with Simon here. A decent calculus book will provide the reasoning behind the methods and techniques you're learning. Of course, you need to be able to read and digest the material. (Many students can't do this, and you'll often hear them complain that "the book sucks!")

That said, being able to discuss concepts and problems with someone else is invaluable to the learning process. You should see if you can find a study partner to learn calculus along with you.

Likes victorhugo and symbolipoint

Related to What is the best way to learn calculus?

What is the best way to learn calculus?

The best way to learn calculus is through consistent practice and application. This involves working through problems, seeking help when needed, and reviewing and understanding the underlying concepts.

Is it better to learn calculus through self-study or in a classroom setting?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some people may find it more effective to learn on their own through textbooks and online resources, while others may benefit from the structure and guidance of a classroom setting.

Do I need to have a strong foundation in math before learning calculus?

While a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of calculus before beginning to learn it. However, a willingness to learn and an open mind are essential for success in calculus.

What are some good resources for learning calculus?

There are many resources available for learning calculus, including textbooks, online courses, videos, and practice problems. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and provide clear explanations and examples.

How can I stay motivated while learning calculus?

One way to stay motivated while learning calculus is to set small goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. It can also be helpful to join study groups or find a tutor who can provide support and accountability. Additionally, reminding yourself of the real-world applications of calculus can help keep you motivated and engaged.