What is the best way to learn basic multiplication tables?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to learn basic multiplication tables. The suggested methods include drilling, exercising, using flashcards, and utilizing online resources or smartphone apps. The importance of maintaining basic math skills is also mentioned.
Tyrion101
I realized my biggest problem with math so far is I'm having trouble with basic multiplication, and was wondering what was the best way of learning the basic multiplication tables?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drill and exercise.

There's no trick. You just have to do it again and again until you have it. You shouldn't even think about anything less than 13 by 13 or so, it needs to just be a reflex.

Whatever helps you memorize the table. Flash cards worked well with one of my students last year.

Before I went back to school for math (at 35) I literally went to the kid section in the bookstore and bought flashcards for multiplication, division, addition and subtraction. (Funnily enough I found out I was worse at addition and subtraction than multiplication and division.)

There's also stuff online (just google) and also if you have a smartphone there are a lot of great apps. I have a few on my droid that I go through sometimes. I don't want to be one of those people who can only do advanced math but forgets how to do arithmetic, so I intend to keep it up.

-Dave K

khanacademy.org has a ton of basic math exercises you an do online.

Related to What is the best way to learn basic multiplication tables?

1. What is basic multiplication?

Basic multiplication is the mathematical operation of combining equal groups or sets to find their total quantity. It is represented by the symbol "x" and is often taught as repeated addition.

2. What are the basic multiplication facts?

The basic multiplication facts are the products of multiplying the numbers 1 through 10 by each other. These facts are often memorized and used as building blocks for more complex multiplication problems.

3. How do I solve basic multiplication problems?

To solve basic multiplication problems, you can use a variety of strategies such as drawing arrays, using skip counting, or using the traditional algorithm of multiplying each digit in the numbers and then adding the products together.

4. What are common mistakes made in basic multiplication?

Common mistakes in basic multiplication include forgetting to carry over when multiplying two-digit numbers, mixing up the order of numbers when multiplying, and not properly aligning numbers in the traditional algorithm.

5. How can I improve my basic multiplication skills?

To improve your basic multiplication skills, you can practice with flashcards, play multiplication games, and use online resources such as multiplication worksheets and drills. It is also helpful to understand the concept of multiplication and the relationship between multiplication and division.