What is the best way to combine uncertainties in measurements?

In summary, the best estimate for x-bar and its uncertainty can be found by averaging the individual measurements and dividing the standard deviation of each measurement by the square root of N to find the standard deviation of the mean. This method may not work in certain cases, so it is recommended to consult literature such as Error Analysis by Taylor for further understanding.
Littlepig

Homework Statement

Suppose I have N [tex]x_{i}[/tex] measures with a given uncertainty [tex]\Delta x_{i}[/tex].

I want to have the best estimate for [tex]\bar{x}[/tex] and its uncertainty [tex]\bar{\Delta x}[/tex]

2. Homework Equations /3. The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not exactly sure because or I can have a mean value of x_i and uncertainty given by standard mean and standard deviation/N formulas and I disregard the measurement uncertainties, or I use the (mean of the [tex]\Delta x_{i}[/tex])/N to the uncertainty of [tex]\bar{x}[/tex] and disregard how x_i are close to the mean [tex]\bar{x}[/tex].

Is there any way of joint both uncertainties together?

Even if you don't explain it in here, can you give me literature where you know where I find it?

Thanks,
littlepig

Physics news on Phys.org
To find x-bar, you just average the individual measurements; nothing fancy about that. To find the standard deviation of this mean, you divide the standard deviation of each measurement by the square root of N.

ideasrule said:
To find x-bar, you just average the individual measurements; nothing fancy about that.

I agree

ideasrule said:
To find the standard deviation of this mean, you divide the standard deviation of each measurement by the square root of N.

I don't agree and I counter example with this:

assume:
Example 1:
x_1=15, delta x_1=0.2
x_2=9, delta x_2=0.1
x_3=3, delta x_3=0.2

Example 2:
x_1=9.2, delta x_1=0.2
x_2=9, delta x_2=0.1
x_3=8.8, delta x_3=0.2

By your method, both mu and sigma are the same for both examples, however, I think we both agree that example 2 should have smaller uncertainty!

bump, At least give me a name of a book to search on...xD please...

I'm not really sure what you've done in example 1. You do want to look at the standard deviation in the mean, as ideasrule said. If you're confused see if you can find Error Analysis by Taylor.

Related to What is the best way to combine uncertainties in measurements?

What is the meaning of "uncertainty of measurements"?

Uncertainty of measurements refers to the degree of doubt or lack of precision in the value of a measured quantity. It is a measure of the potential error or variation in a measurement.

Why is it important to consider uncertainty of measurements in scientific experiments?

It is important to consider uncertainty of measurements because it helps us understand the reliability and accuracy of our experimental results. It also allows us to make informed decisions about the significance of our findings and the potential impact of any errors in our measurements.

How is uncertainty of measurements calculated?

Uncertainty of measurements is typically calculated by estimating the precision and accuracy of the measurement instrument used and determining the standard deviation of the measurements. It can also be calculated using statistical methods such as error propagation and confidence intervals.

What factors can affect the uncertainty of measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the uncertainty of measurements, including the precision and accuracy of the measurement instrument, human error, environmental conditions, and the variability of the measured quantity itself.

How can we reduce the uncertainty of measurements?

We can reduce the uncertainty of measurements by using more precise and accurate measurement instruments, minimizing sources of error and variability, and increasing the number of measurements taken. It is also important to carefully document and analyze any potential sources of uncertainty in order to make accurate and reliable measurements.