What's the error in 1 repeated measurement?

In summary, the author attempted to solve the problem of estimating the combined uncertainty of two measurements by using error propagation. However, because the measurements were not repeats, the author was unable to use the central limit theorem and instead had to gamble based on the assumption that the errors were Gaussian.
henry wang

Homework Statement

I have only repeated a measurement once, I cannot assume it is distributed as a Gaussian because there is so few data. How can I estimate its combined uncertainty?

The Attempt at a Solution

Total data: x1, x2
I calculated the individual uncertainties in x1 and x2 using error propagation equation and found that they are essentially the same. Thus I used [tex]\Delta \bar{x}=\frac{\Delta x}{\sqrt{N}}[/tex] Where N is the number of repeats, which is 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to realize you are not calculating an exact uncertainty, you are estimating it.
The estimator for uncertainty depends on how the measurement was taken.

It is usually reasonable to assume gaussian errors unless you have reason to do otherwise simply because central limit theorem.
Most measurement errors are approximately to gaussian even if they are not strictly gaussian - and the uncertainty on the uncertainty is typically large.

The trouble, as you have realized, is that you cannot be sure of the uncertainty without lots of data points.
The best you can do is gamble.

I don't see how you found the individual errors though.
It is common to estimate errors on individual measurements by using the resolution of the instrument... this assumes that the instrument resolution is about the same or bigger than other contributions. It may be important to check that this is likely - ie. if you used a stopwatch, you can try timing other stuff to see how the errors are distributed.

Simon Bridge said:
The trick is to realize you are not calculating an exact uncertainty, you are estimating it.
The estimator for uncertainty depends on how the measurement was taken.

It is usually reasonable to assume gaussian errors unless you have reason to do otherwise simply because central limit theorem.
Most measurement errors are approximately to gaussian even if they are not strictly gaussian - and the uncertainty on the uncertainty is typically large.

The trouble, as you have realized, is that you cannot be sure of the uncertainty without lots of data points.
The best you can do is gamble.

I don't see how you found the individual errors though.
It is common to estimate errors on individual measurements by using the resolution of the instrument... this assumes that the instrument resolution is about the same or bigger than other contributions. It may be important to check that this is likely - ie. if you used a stopwatch, you can try timing other stuff to see how the errors are distributed.
The measured varieble was used to calculate another quantity, the uncertainty calculated is really the uncertainty of the calculated quantity. Thank you for your help.

The tldr answer is "it depends" - the uncertainty estimator that is best used depends on the specifics of the situation.
It would help us advise you properly if we knew what the situation was and what you know about the likely physics being followed.

Simon Bridge said:
The tldr answer is "it depends" - the uncertainty estimator that is best used depends on the specifics of the situation.
It would help us advise you properly if we knew what the situation was and what you know about the likely physics being followed.
I realized that the two measurements are not repeats since the variables were changed slightly due to human error, at the end I simply took the average of their uncertainties. Thank you very much for your help!

Related to What's the error in 1 repeated measurement?

1. What is the definition of a repeated measurement?

A repeated measurement is when the same quantity is measured multiple times in order to reduce random error and obtain a more accurate result.

2. Why is it important to identify the error in a repeated measurement?

Identifying the error in a repeated measurement is important because it allows scientists to determine the precision and accuracy of their results. It also helps in identifying any systematic errors that may have occurred during the measurement process.

3. How do scientists calculate the error in a repeated measurement?

Scientists calculate the error in a repeated measurement by taking the average of all the measurements and then calculating the difference between each individual measurement and the average. This value is then divided by the number of measurements to determine the error for each measurement.

4. Can the error in a repeated measurement be eliminated completely?

No, the error in a repeated measurement cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by taking multiple measurements and using statistical methods to analyze the data.

5. How does the error in a repeated measurement affect the overall accuracy of the results?

The error in a repeated measurement can affect the overall accuracy of the results by either increasing or decreasing it. If the error is small, it may have a minimal impact on the accuracy. However, if the error is large, it can significantly affect the accuracy and reliability of the results.