What is the Best Wavelength for Heat Transfer in a Black Body Radiator?

In summary: I agree the emissivity should be taken as 1 here, in the absence of any other indication, but in general objects can radiate better at specific wavelengths. A filament of a different metal would have a different colour at the same temperature.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=64051&stc=1&d=1384776232.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about the relevant equations to be used here. At first sight, I thought I had to apply Stefan's law but then, the question states the power consumed by bulb, not the radiated one. I am completely clueless about what to do here. The first line states the peak wavelength, I have seen peak wavelength being used in Wien's displacement law but I am not sure about this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• heat transfer.png
    heat transfer.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the power going into the bulb. How does that relate to the power coming out of the bulb?
Can you determine the temperature? What then does Stefan's Law tell you?

haruspex said:
You know the power going into the bulb.
Yes, its 60 watts (0.5*120)

How does that relate to the power coming out of the bulb?
And that's where I am stuck. Can you please give me some hints?
Can you determine the temperature?
Temperature of bulb? How? :confused:

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
Check out Wien's Displacement Law. It contains a neat relationship between max. wavelength and temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien's_displacement_law

Ah yes, so the temperature of bulb is ##2.898 \times 10^3 K##.

What next?

From Stefan's law,

$$P_e-P_a=\sigma A(T_e^4-T_a^4)$$

where ##P_e## is the rate at which heat energy is emitted, ##P_a## is the rate at which heat energy is absorbed. ##T_e## is the temperature of body and ##T_a## is temperature of air.

Now how do I find ##P_e## and ##P_a##?

I think for your light bulb, Pa = 0 and you are given the information on the power consumption of the bulb in the OP. I say Pa = 0 because the energy input to the bulb is converted to light, and air is transparent to light (i.e., light radiates without being absorbed by the air).

SteamKing said:
I think for your light bulb, Pa = 0 and you are given the information on the power consumption of the bulb in the OP. I say Pa = 0 because the energy input to the bulb is converted to light, and air is transparent to light (i.e., light radiates without being absorbed by the air).

Something like ##60=\sigma A((2.8998 \times 10^3)^4-(300)^4)##, right?

That would be my guess. You know the Boltzmann constant σ (or can look it up.)

SteamKing said:
That would be my guess. You know the Boltzmann constant σ (or can look it up.)

Thanks a lot SteamKing! That's the correct answer. :)

But I feel that the question didn't give enough information. Don't you think the problem should have specified the nature of bulb? I mean I had to consider it as a black body to reach the correct answer.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the nature of the bulb.'

Hot objects radiate energy as a black body at a certain temperature. The only thing missing that I can see was the emissivity value of the filament. Since, for this problem, the emissivity was apparently assumed to be 1, then you are dealing with a perfect black body radiator.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the nature of the bulb.'

Hot objects radiate energy as a black body at a certain temperature. The only thing missing that I can see was the emissivity value of the filament. Since, for this problem, the emissivity was apparently assumed to be 1, then you are dealing with a perfect black body radiator.
I agree the emissivity should be taken as 1 here, in the absence of any other indication, but in general objects can radiate better at specific wavelengths. A filament of a different metal would have a different colour at the same temperature.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the Best Wavelength for Heat Transfer in a Black Body Radiator?

1. What is heat transfer problem?

Heat transfer problem refers to the study of how heat is transferred between different objects or systems. This includes understanding the mechanisms of heat transfer and the factors that affect it.

2. What are the three modes of heat transfer?

The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid medium, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How is heat transfer problem relevant in everyday life?

Heat transfer problem is relevant in everyday life as it affects many aspects of our daily activities. For example, it is important in cooking, heating and cooling our homes, and even our own bodies regulate heat through various mechanisms.

4. What factors affect heat transfer?

The factors that affect heat transfer include temperature difference, the properties of the materials involved (such as thermal conductivity), the surface area and geometry of the objects, and the presence of any insulating materials.

5. How do scientists study heat transfer problem?

Scientists study heat transfer problem through various methods such as mathematical modeling, experiments, and simulations. They also use principles from thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to analyze and understand heat transfer processes.