What is the best training strategy for success on the Putnam Exam?

• Testing
  • Thread starter Dens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary prerequisites for success in the Putnam exam, with a focus on problem solving ability rather than specific courses. It is suggested to practice with old exams and develop problem solving skills. The difficulty of the exam is noted, with a median score of 0 or 1 out of 120, and a training strategy is mentioned.
Dens
Could anyone Putnam veterans or Putnam coaches tell me what the real per-requisites are to succeed in the Putnam exam? Because they say the Putnam exam only requires Calculus and I think that's completely garbage.

What courses should one have in his arsenal if he wishes to be successful in the exam? Consider the person who has never really entered any Math competition before.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not the courses you should worry about. Instead, you need an amazing problem solving ability. Granted, if you haven't studied Abstract Algebra yet, you probably will not be able to approach those types of problems but for the rest, Calc I-III, Linear Algebra and, maybe, Number Theory will put you in position to attempt about 80% of the content. Whether the attempt is successful is another question.

So, best suggestion is to download old exams and play around with them. If you can solve them, then good. If you cannot, but easily understand the solutions, increase problem solving ability. If you can't even understand solutions, you are probably missing some courses.

Dens said:
Because they say the Putnam exam only requires Calculus and I think that's completely garbage.
It sounds right to me.

Additional knowledge of all sorts can be very helpful -- after all, what's the point of taking classes if it doesn't make it easier to solve problems? But generally not required.

Additional knowledge isn't restricted to advanced courses: I recall one A1 problem that was very simple if you learned (and remembered) about the Euler line from plane geometry.

In my opinion, A1 and B1 problems usually have straightforward, elementary solutions. Note I did not say "easy" or "simple". If the median score is still 0 as it was when I took the exam, being able to solve either A1 or B1 counts as being successful.

I haven't taken the putnam but I've played around with lots of the old exams. They really do for the most part require basic math skills - calculus, LA, diff eq - but in ways that require a lot of ingenuity.

Hey, I will also be participating in the Putnam competition this December (as an incoming freshman). I found a site with questions and their solutions for EVERY Putnam competition: http://mks.mff.cuni.cz/kalva/putnam.html.

From what I have heard and the from the problems I've tried this is an outrageously difficult exam. The "easy questions" seem nearly impossible (even considering that you get an average of 30 minutes to write up each solution). Furthermore, the median score for the Putnam is a 0 or a 1 out of a possible 120 (depending on the year).

However, I found a training strategy that seems to help. That is, I read a problem and a solution of an exam question and then I write down how one might have conjured up the solution. I do one of these a day and it seems to be helping (at the very least, I understand more about how mathematics is done).

Good luck!

EDIT: The site I gave you only had all the problems up to 2003. Newer problems (1985-2012) and solutions can be found on the official Putnam website.

Related to What is the best training strategy for success on the Putnam Exam?

1. What is the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam is an annual mathematics competition for undergraduate college students in the United States and Canada. It was first held in 1938 and is organized by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA).

2. Who can take the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam is open to all undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. Students do not have to be math majors to participate and can be from any field of study.

3. When is the Putnam Exam held?

The Putnam Exam is typically held on the first Saturday in December each year. However, in some years, it may be held on the second Saturday in December. The exact date is announced by the MAA in the summer prior to the competition.

4. How is the Putnam Exam structured?

The Putnam Exam consists of two 3-hour sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each session consists of six challenging mathematical problems and students are given 2.5 points for each correct answer and 0 points for incorrect or incomplete answers.

5. What is the purpose of the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam aims to encourage and recognize the mathematical abilities of undergraduate students. It also serves as a way for students to showcase their problem-solving skills and can be a valuable experience for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in mathematics. Additionally, top-performing students may receive prizes and recognition from the MAA.