What Is the Best SHM and Circular Motion Applet for Visual Learning?

• Thread starter JJBladester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, a good SHM applet is a software application that helps users visualize and understand simple harmonic motion, which is the repetitive back and forth movement of an object. It typically includes interactive graphs, animations, and simulations to illustrate the concepts and equations related to SHM. These applets can be useful for students learning about SHM in physics or engineering courses, as well as for professionals looking to refresh their knowledge or demonstrate concepts to others. Some popular SHM applets include PhET Interactive Simulations, Virtual Physics Lab, and Interactive Physics.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm looking for a good SHM / Circular Motion applet.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor had shown us an applet that had a hanging mass on a spring and a circle in the same applet... Really helped us understand the inter-relationship between SHM and uniform circular motion.

Anybody know of a good applet for this so I can try it at home?

Also, is it true that period (T) depends only on the mass of the hanging object (m) and the spring's constant (k)? In other words, changing the amplitude alone doesn't affect the period, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the period of a simple harmonic oscillator depends only on the mass of the object and the spring's constant. Changing the amplitude does not affect the period. A good applet for this can be found at http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/shmapplet.htm.

Related to What Is the Best SHM and Circular Motion Applet for Visual Learning?

What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object.

Why do I need a SHM applet?

A SHM applet can help visualize and understand the concept of Simple Harmonic Motion, which can be difficult to grasp through equations alone.

What features should I look for in a good SHM applet?

A good SHM applet should have interactive controls to change variables such as amplitude, frequency, and damping. It should also display graphs and animations to illustrate the motion.

Are there any free SHM applets available?

Yes, there are many free SHM applets available online. Some examples include PhET Interactive Simulations, Physics Aviary, and Wolfram Demonstrations Project.

Can a SHM applet be used for educational purposes?

Yes, SHM applets are commonly used in educational settings to help students understand and visualize Simple Harmonic Motion concepts. They can also be used for self-study and practice.