What is the best quiz software for language learning and retention?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a "quiz" software for learning languages, specifically for a 12-year-old struggling with memorizing new words. The ideal program would allow for the creation of personalized quizzes and the ability to save words in a database for future review. The software should be generic and not language-specific, and should also be compatible with Windows 8. The individual mentioned potentially writing their own program, but was in search of something already available. Two potential options were suggested: Quizmaster and Anki.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good language "quiz" software

I have -unsuccesfully for some reason- been trying to find a "quiz" type program for learning languages.
The reason is that I have a 12 year old at home who struggles a bit when it comes to learning new words on his own.
All I (well he) need is a program which allow you to enter words, saves them in database, and then runs a quiz. Ideally it should also be possible to "extend" the quiz so that it not only asks about the words entered that week, but about all words entered over a certain period (for revising).

The software should be simple and generic, not made specificlly for a certain language (at the moment he is doing Spanish and Latin, but might switch to French or German in a couple of years).

There is a lot of "self-study" software out there, but I still haven't been able to find anything suitable(!)

I could potentially write somthing myself, but this must already be available.

Also, it needs to work on Windows 8.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think I've found something like what you're looking for:

http://openteacher.org/

As a scientist who has experience in language learning and software development, I would suggest looking into spaced repetition software for your needs. These types of programs use a scientifically proven method of reviewing material at intervals to optimize learning and retention. They also often have customizable features, such as the ability to add your own words and create personalized quizzes.

Some popular spaced repetition software options include Anki, Memrise, and Duolingo. These programs are available for multiple languages and can be used on Windows 8.

In addition, I would recommend involving your 12-year-old in the search for the software. They may have specific preferences or needs that can help guide your decision. It's important to find a program that is engaging and enjoyable for them to use.

Overall, with the right software and consistent use, your child should see improvement in their language learning and retention. Best of luck!

Related to What is the best quiz software for language learning and retention?

What are the key features of good language quiz software?

Good language quiz software should have a variety of question types, customizable settings, progress tracking, instant feedback, and the ability to create and share quizzes.

How can good language quiz software improve language learning?

By providing interactive and engaging quizzes, good language quiz software can help learners practice and reinforce their knowledge of vocabulary, grammar, and other language skills. It can also track progress and identify areas for improvement.

Is good language quiz software suitable for all levels of language proficiency?

Yes, good language quiz software can be beneficial for learners of all levels, from beginners to advanced speakers. It can be tailored to meet the specific needs and goals of each individual learner.

Are there any free options for good language quiz software?

Yes, there are many free language quiz software options available online, such as Quizlet, Duolingo, and Memrise. These platforms offer a variety of features and can be a great resource for language learners.

Can good language quiz software be used for self-study or in a classroom setting?

Yes, good language quiz software can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It can be a useful tool for independent practice or as a supplement to traditional classroom instruction.