What is the Best Musical Instrument for Scientists?

• Music
  • Thread starter drizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary, the person says they are an expert summarizer of content and they like playing piano, electric bass, violin, and viola. They also like playing chamber music and small works.
drizzle
Gold Member
Mine is the flute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeuverPXEU&feature=PlayList&p=D80A64739A6BB0B8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnCW91A66qs&feature=PlayList&p=D80A64739A6BB0B8&index=33&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL5xjLgQp1c

Yeah, a bit different :biggrin:

Science news on Phys.org
My best is guitar, but it's tough to pick which. Blues on electric, blues on acoustic, rock on electric, fingerpicking folk styles on acoustic...

I'm OK on harmonica (blues style) and drums, but I could make more money with guitar and vocals. I wish I could still stand to be exposed to fragrances, because I'd still be fronting bands.

turbo-1 said:
My best is guitar, but it's tough to pick which. Blues on electric, blues on acoustic, rock on electric, fingerpicking folk styles on acoustic...

I'm OK on harmonica (blues style) and drums, but I could make more money with guitar and vocals. I wish I could still stand to be exposed to fragrances, because I'd still be fronting bands.

I was about to make a thread about best fragrances, but you came to mind then I receded :rolleyes:…..:biggrin:

Guitar and piano. They're not really comparable though. You can do all kinds of creative techniques on guitar, whereas piano is best for creative theory.

drizzle said:
I was about to make a thread about best fragrances, but you came to mind then I receded :rolleyes:…..:biggrin:
My best fragrances involve food. Bread-and-butter pickles simmering, apple pie baking in the oven, venison liver and onion sizzling in the pan...

Why does the beatbox guy only know how to play in one key?

i found out recently that i can't really play anymore, so i can't say I've got a best

Ben Niehoff said:
Why does the beatbox guy only know how to play in one key?

Is he? Still, nice play

Proton Soup said:
i found out recently that i can't really play anymore, so i can't say I've got a best

Why? What did you play?

drizzle said:
Why? What did you play?

trumpet/french horn/baritone, but mostly trumpet. i played with some alumni at my old high school last year, and let's just say it wasn't quite like riding a bicycle. with a little practice, tho, i think it would be much better, I've just not got much motivation to pursue it atm.

I do not really have a "favorite", but in the in the wind category, I'll introduce

In the category "hors concours" (outside competition), I love

(skip to 3:43 if it's too free before, it gets really interesting)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alto Saxophone.

I'm not sure what the original poster means by "best": instrument one plays best or instrument one likes best.

In my case, playing instrumental music (mostly "classical" in the loose sense) is a major hobby. The main instruments that I play are piano, violin and viola, and my wife plays the cello. We have both performed solo works with orchestra (concertos and similar) in public on all of these, and played many more such works with orchestra as "rehearsal soloist".

It's difficult to say which is "best", either for standard or for what I like, because they are so different, and it also depends on the pieces I'm currently working on. Complex piano works require much more effort to learn the notes than string works of a similar standard just because of the sheer number of notes, but learning how to make complex passages on a string instrument sound fluent and clear can take weeks just for a few notes. Of my own instruments, the viola is often most immediately rewarding, for example in a viola transcription of Bach's unaccompanied cello suites (which my wife plays on the cello), but I rarely play it now.

In between my occasional opportunities to rehearse concertos with full orchestra (great fun - my favourite has been Rachmaninov 2nd piano concerto), I get the most pleasure out of playing in small chamber works, including quartets and trios, and some of my best work has been playing piano accompaniments for my wife's performances on the cello.

My musical friends sometimes have "musical evenings" where people bring along instruments and play or sing, and for that sort of event I usually take along my guitar and my flute. I'm not particularly good at either, but quite fluent at playing things by ear, and they are useful instruments for joining in with things.

Electric Bass. Haven't picked up one in years though. :frown:

Was learning piano and electric organ (40 years ago), but didn't stay with it. I wanted to be outside playing football - American or soccer.

Violin, although I've only ever played as part of an orchestra. Have been trying to learn fiddle techniques recently, and basic guitar.

Related to What is the Best Musical Instrument for Scientists?

1. What makes a musical instrument the "best"?

The best musical instrument is subjective and depends on personal preferences and skill level. Some may consider a certain instrument to be the best because of its versatility, while others may prefer an instrument for its unique sound. Ultimately, the best instrument is one that brings joy and fulfillment to the musician playing it.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a musical instrument?

When choosing a musical instrument, it is important to consider factors such as your budget, the type of music you want to play, and your physical abilities. It is also helpful to try out different instruments to see which one feels the most comfortable and natural to play.

3. Is it necessary to have natural talent to play a musical instrument?

While natural talent can certainly give some individuals an advantage, it is not necessary to have natural talent to play a musical instrument. With dedication, practice, and proper instruction, anyone can learn to play an instrument proficiently.

4. How often should I practice my musical instrument?

The frequency and duration of practice sessions will vary depending on the individual and their goals. However, it is generally recommended to practice at least 30 minutes to an hour every day to see progress and improvement.

5. What are some benefits of playing a musical instrument?

Playing a musical instrument has numerous benefits, including improved cognitive function, stress relief, and increased self-confidence. It also allows for self-expression and can be a fun and fulfilling hobby or career.