What is this musical instrument?

• Music
  • Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary, Marie Osmond's "Paper Roses" is a song that is commonly heard in country music, but which is particularly disliked by the author for its sound, which he describes as "the typical whiney sound in country music." The instrument used in this song is a steel guitar, which is originally from Hawaii but has since become a popular instrument in country music. The old blues musicians who popularized this style of music used different techniques, such as using a pocket-knife as a slide. The first instrument that was mentioned was the lap steel, which is a guitar that is elevated to a more comfortable height for a seated player.
Newai
This instrument starts at about 0:13

Marie Osmond singing "Paper Roses"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fqJkTeDNU

I hear it a lot in country music and it drives me nuts. Of all the sounds in the world, this is the one that makes me want to pull my head off.

My mom said it's a steel guitar. But I've seen some videos of those and there's a similar sound but not so disturbing to me.

Science news on Phys.org
It's a steel guitar. That's the typical whiney sound in country music.

Ah. Thank you for verifying that for me.

Steel guitars can be beautiful. They are originally called Hawaiian guitars, but I think that's because Hawaiian music was the first popular music that used them.

Chi Meson said:
Steel guitars can be beautiful. They are originally called Hawaiian guitars, but I think that's because Hawaiian music was the first popular music that used them.
Hawaiians played acoustic guitars laid across their laps. The guitars were tuned to open chords, and the "fretting" was done by slides that allowed chords and individual notes to be slid up and down easily. Even before companies started electrifying Spanish guitars, they had built lap-steels on planks of wood with electromagnetic pickups. Often the lap-steels came with matching amplifiers, some of which are still highly sought-after. Often the guitar and amp was covered in what collectors call "mother of toilet-seat" resins that lent a flashy finish to both. As country music embraced the lap steel, instrument makers put the steel guitar on legs to bring the guitar to a comfortable height for a seated player, and often incorporated a second neck on the same body so the player would have access to a second open chord structure. It wasn't too long after that they added foot-pedals and knee-levers so that the player could alter the structure of the open chord during songs. This is the "pedal-steel" heard in the OP and on every George Jones record ever released.

^^
I think Turbo's just making things up!

:smirk:

I keep forgetting about this interwebs thing. I could have just looked it up in the Wicker Patio.

Chi Meson said:
^^
I think Turbo's just making things up!

:smirk:
Yep! It's all a lie.

BTW, if you know any old codger with a 40's-era lap steel and matching amp with pearloid resin finish, please give me their name and number.

BTW, black musicians were using very similar techniques playing blues, and still do. Slide guitar was very prominent in Elmore James' repertoire, and lots of that carried over into Duane Allman's work, Johnny Winter, Bonnie Raitt, and many others. Lots of earlier blues musicians became well-known for their tunings and styles and some managed to create some very distinctive sounds. Some old blues-boys used the back of a pocket-knife as a slide, some used beer bottles or the smoothed neck of a wine-bottle, others used a cut-off piece of pipe...Lowell George of Little Feet used a socket from the Sears store.

George Jones. Yup. Just watched one of his vids. I guess I know what will happen to me if I go to hell.

That sound is worse for me than fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm not kidding. When I was last at a wedding reception, the band started a song with that and I was out the door!

Newai said:
George Jones. Yup. Just watched one of his vids. I guess I know what will happen to me if I go to hell.

That sound is worse for me than fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm not kidding. When I was last at a wedding reception, the band started a song with that and I was out the door!
You have to be a recent immigrant or a visiting student! The idea that a Maine resident has to ask about pedal steel guitar is shocking.

Meh. Born and raised in Maine, moved to other states, recently back to Maine. Too many country folk, but not bad.

Newai said:
Meh. Born and raised in Maine, moved to other states, recently back to Maine. Too many country folk, but not bad.
Wow! I'm an old codger, but I grew up with pedal-steel-flavored country music on both local TV and radio. I bought and sold guitars and amps all through college to help pay my way, so I had to figure out pretty fast where the profit was. I wasn't perfect, by any measure. I once traded a refinished '59 Strat for a new late-sixties Les Paul Custom and $300. Stupid is as stupid does.

This is a great topic title. But the first one (lap pedal steel) was a kinda easy.
How about some more instruments we might guess?
And to make it a little easier, how about samples of some of the lesser known instruments
from around the world.

Newai said:
That sound is worse for me than fingernails on a chalkboard.

I'm also not particularly fond of the pedal steel sound.
So Newai, I know where you're coming from.

turbo-1 said:
Lowell George of Little Feet used a socket from the Sears store.

But, by the same token, I do enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oPHLzEc3Q" guitar.
They add another dimension of emotional expression to the music, as does the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QGKlZLgz3w"
(sample is a pretty version of Ashokan).

Let me start the world instruments with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1YMjLwExE" (anyone know what instrument the lady is playing?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
This is a great topic title. But the first one (lap pedal steel) was a kinda easy.
How about some more instruments we might guess?
And to make it a little easier, how about samples of some of the lesser known instruments
from around the world.
:confused:

This wasn't meant to be a game. But feel free if you want to go that direction.

Newai said:
:

This wasn't meant to be a game. But feel free...
Thanks! You picked out such a great topic title,
I bet we can learn about some very fascinating instruments.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
nharo3.jpg

Thumb piano

I wonder what inspired the development of this instrument?
necessity, ingenuity, and poverty

Related to What is this musical instrument?

What is this musical instrument?

This is a common question asked by individuals who are unfamiliar with a particular musical instrument. There are a few different ways to answer this question:

1. What is the name of this instrument?

The name of the instrument can be used to identify it and provide more information about its origin and characteristics. Some instruments have multiple names depending on the region or culture they are associated with.

2. How does this instrument produce sound?

This question is asking for the mechanism behind the instrument's sound production. Some instruments produce sound through vibrating strings, while others use air or percussion to create sound.

3. What type of music is this instrument typically used for?

This question is seeking information about the genre or style of music that the instrument is commonly associated with. For example, the piano is often used in classical music, while the guitar is popular in rock music.

4. How is this instrument played?

This question is asking for details on the physical technique used to play the instrument. Some instruments require specific finger placements or blowing techniques, while others may be played with mallets or drumsticks.

5. What is the history of this instrument?

This question is inquiring about the origins and evolution of the instrument. Knowing the history of an instrument can provide insight into its cultural significance and how it has evolved over time.