What is the Average Frictional Force Acting on a Sliding Bear?

In summary: Frictional force is work done against motion. In this problem, the bear loses energy to friction as it slides down the tree. This work is in the form of kinetic energy (which is the energy of motion) and potential energy (which is the energy of a position). You can calculate the frictional force using the formula W = F * s * cos 180 degrees, which results in a negative force since the force is against the movement.
kappcity06
i got most of this problem but i don't know what average frictional force means.

A 25 kg bear slides, from rest, 13 m down a lodgepole pine tree, moving with a speed of 6.4 m/s just before hitting the ground.
(a) What change occurs in the gravitational potential energy of the bear-Earth system during the slide?-3185J
b)What is the kinetic energy of the bear just before hitting the ground? 512J
c)What is the average frictional force that acts on the bear?

Physics news on Phys.org
kappcity06 said:
i got most of this problem but i don't know what average frictional force means.

A 25 kg bear slides, from rest, 13 m down a lodgepole pine tree, moving with a speed of 6.4 m/s just before hitting the ground.
(a) What change occurs in the gravitational potential energy of the bear-Earth system during the slide?-3185J
b)What is the kinetic energy of the bear just before hitting the ground? 512J
c)What is the average frictional force that acts on the bear?

Can you find the amount of work done by friction?

would that just be potential energy minus kentic energy

kappcity06 said:
would that just be potential energy minus kentic energy

In general: Nope.

If there are only conservative forces working, energy would be conserved. That is to say that the energy before an event is the same as the energy after the event. Is friction a conservative force?

Well, in this problem, the kinetic energy at the top is 0 so the bear's "total energy" is equal to it's potential energy at the top of the tree. At the bottom of the tree the potential energy is 0 so the total energy is just kinetic energy plus the energy lost through friction.

I'm not sure what Norman meant by "In general" but in this case, yes, the energy lost to friction is potential energy (at the top of the tree) minus the kinetic energy (at the bottom of the tree). Of course, that is also equal to the distance the bear slid times the average friction force.

again use the energy balance that is valid here:

[tex] E_{gravitation} = E_{kinetic} + E_{friction}[/tex]

=

[tex] mgh = \frac{1} {2} mv^{2} + E_{friction}[/tex]

if you can set up the energy balance like this, you are well ahead in these kinds of problems. It's very important to realize what energy is at the beginning of the process and how this energy is converted during a process. In this case, we start with gravitational energy and end up with kinetic energy and heat lost to the surroundings due to friction. Then it's simply setting up an equation like this :)

After knowing this energy, you know the work done by the frictional force and you can calculate the frictional force use the formula W = F * s * cos 180 degrees (and thus frictional work is negative since the force is 180 degrees against the movement)

Last edited:
sdekivit said:
again use the energy balance that is valid here:

[tex] E_{gravitation} = E_{kinetic} + E_{friction}[/tex]

=

[tex] mgh = \frac{1} {2} mv^{2} + E_{friction}[/tex]

if you can set up the energy balance like this, you are well ahead in these kinds of problems. It's very important to realize what energy is at the beginning of the process and how this energy is converted during a process. In this case, we start with gravitational energy and end up with kinetic energy and heat lost to the surroundings due to friction. Then it's simply setting up an equation like this :)

After knowing this energy, you know the work done by the frictional force and you can calculate the frictional force use the formula W = F * s * cos 180 degrees (and thus frictional work is negative since the force is 180 degrees against the movement)

this did not work i woulnd up with enegry of fricion=2673. then i but it into the equation w=fscos180 and got -34749?

The energy of friction is the total work done by friction, so you would plug that in for w. Then you would want to solve for force

alright thanks

posirtve or neagitive i didnt know friction could be negative

When you're talking about work, it can either be positive or negative. Essentially, if you're doing work to make something move, it's positive. If you're doing work to prevent something from moving, it's negative. So for w, you would technically be plugging in the negative value of energy of friction. However, the cos(180) is also negative, so they cancel.

Your answer should be positive

yea u were right. thanks

kappcity06 said:
this did not work i woulnd up with enegry of fricion=2673. then i but it into the equation w=fscos180 and got -34749?

if you do the calculation correctly, this approach always works ;)

You should bear in mind that energy has the unit J and work too.

Related to What is the Average Frictional Force Acting on a Sliding Bear?

What is average frictional force?

Average frictional force refers to the amount of resistance that is experienced when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other. It is the force that opposes the motion of an object and is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces.

How is average frictional force calculated?

The average frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, by the normal force, which is the force exerted on an object by a surface perpendicular to that object.

What factors affect the average frictional force?

The average frictional force can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the normal force, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants between the surfaces.

Why is average frictional force important?

Average frictional force is important because it plays a crucial role in everyday tasks, such as walking, driving, and using tools. It also affects the efficiency and performance of machines and structures, and understanding and controlling it is essential for improving their functionality and safety.

Can average frictional force be reduced?

Yes, average frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or reducing the normal force can also decrease the amount of frictional force experienced between two objects.