What is the area between two polar curves?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area inside one loop of the function r = 2cos(3 theta) and outside the circle r = 1. The person asking the question sets up an integral but is unsure if it is correct. They are confused about the role of the circle and whether it needs to be subtracted. The expert clarifies that the area inside and outside the circle are not the same and recommends rethinking the problem using a more general formula for calculating area. Eventually, the person arrives at the correct expression for the area.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Find the area inside one loop of r = 2cos(3 theta) and outside the circle r = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to clarify something about the limits of integration. I found the intersection of the two curves to be at an angle of pi/9. This is how I setup my integral

A = 2*integral from 0 to pi/9 of 1/2(2cos(3 theta))^2 d theta

Is it correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. You haven't used the fact that the area is outside the circle r=1.

vela said:
Not quite. You haven't used the fact that the area is outside the circle r=1.

So my expression is for the area inside the circle ?, I'm confused

No. Why do you think the circle has do to anything with your expression at all?

Do I have to subtract away the circle ?, I thought by integrating to the point where the two graphs intersect I would get the area outside the circle

Think about this. Suppose the question asked you to calculate the area inside the circle. How would the integral change? The two curves still intersect at the same points, so using your logic, you'd end up with same integral. Obviously, that can't be right. There's no reason to believe the area inside and outside the circle are the same.

I recommend you rethink the problem starting from the more general formula for the area
$$A = \iint r\,dr\,d\theta,$$ with the appropriate limits, and try to understand where the formula
$$A = \int \frac 12 r^2 \,d\theta$$ comes from. The latter is a special case of the first one, and you need to understand when you can actually use it.

Ok, so is this expression right ?

A = 2*integral from 0 to pi/9 of (1/2(2cos(3 theta))^2) - 1/2(1)^2 d theta

How'd you come up with it?

At the point where they intersect by integrating the flower petal it includes part of the circle, therefore I have to subtract away that part

TheRedDevil18 said:
Ok, so is this expression right ?

A = 2*integral from 0 to pi/9 of (1/2(2cos(3 theta))^2) - 1/2(1)^2 d theta

Yes.

Ok thanks

Related to What is the area between two polar curves?

1. What is the area between two polar curves?

The area between two polar curves is the region enclosed by the curves on a polar coordinate plane. It is similar to finding the area between two curves on a Cartesian coordinate plane, but the equations of the curves are in polar form.

2. How do you find the area between two polar curves?

To find the area between two polar curves, you first need to graph the curves on a polar coordinate plane. Then, you can use the formula A = 1/2∫(r2-r1)^2 dθ, where r1 and r2 are the equations of the curves and θ is the angle of rotation.

3. Can the area between polar curves be negative?

No, the area between polar curves cannot be negative. The area is always a positive value because it represents the magnitude of the enclosed region on the coordinate plane.

4. What is the difference between finding the area between polar curves and finding the area under a polar curve?

Finding the area between polar curves involves finding the area of the region enclosed by two curves, while finding the area under a polar curve involves finding the area of the region between the curve and the origin of the polar coordinate plane.

5. Can the area between polar curves be infinite?

Yes, the area between polar curves can be infinite if the curves intersect an infinite number of times or if one of the curves has an asymptote that extends to infinity. In this case, the area between the curves would also be infinite.