What is the Arc Length of y=\sqrt{x} from x=0 to x=2?

In summary, the author is trying to find the arc length of y=\sqrt{x} from x=0 to x=2, but is having trouble because of the integrals involved. He tries two methods and one works, but the other does not. He then tries a different function and gets the same answer.
bigevil

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of [tex]y=\sqrt{x}[/tex] from x=0 to x=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know, this is a nastier integral than it looks. From the substitutions,

[tex]s = \int_0^2 \sqrt{1 + \frac{1}{4x}} dx[/tex]. From doing this over and over again I already know the answer will have square roots and logarithms but I keep getting it wrong!

I've tried two methods so far, both end with evaluating [tex]\int cosec^3 x dx[/tex], but with different limits.

Heres one: [tex]u = \sqrt{1 + \frac{1}{4x}}[/tex]. Then, I get [tex]s = \int_1^{\sqrt{9/8}} \frac{u^2}{- 2(u^2-1)^2} du[/tex]

Substitute [tex]u = sec \theta[/tex], [tex]s = \int_{0}^{sec^{-1} \sqrt{(9/8)}} - cosec^3 \theta d\theta = \frac{1}{8}(3\sqrt{2}... [/tex] which has the wrong form.

([tex]2 \int cosec^3 x dx = - cot\theta cosec\theta - ln|cot\theta + cosec\theta| + c[/tex] by integration by parts.)

The answer is [tex]\frac{1}{2} (3\sqrt{2} + ln (1 + \sqrt{2}) [/tex] or about 2.56. I'm quite sure my general method is correct (the square roots and logarithms are consistent with the ansewr), but there's a problem with the limits.

The other one is to substitute a trig expression directly (ie [tex]\frac{1}{4x} = tan^2 \theta[/tex], with different limits.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's something different you might try. Instead of working with y = sqrt(x), you could instead work with y = x^2. The arc length along your curve between x = 0 and x = 2 is exactly the same as the arc length along the curve between x = 0 and x = sqrt(2). If you draw the graphs of y = sqrt(x) and y = x^2, you should be able to convince yourself of what I'm saying.

The integral becomes:
[tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{2}} \sqrt{1 + 4x^2} dx[/tex]

You can use a trig substitution here, with tan [itex]\theta[/itex] = 2x.

Mark, thanks so much, that worked. You meant that since x^2 is the inverse function, it is exactly symmetrical about the y=x, so (2, root-2) maps to (root-2, 2), right?

But I hope to be able to solve the original problem as-is. Just changing functions unfortunately won't reveal what was wrong with what I did above.

Related to What is the Arc Length of y=\sqrt{x} from x=0 to x=2?

What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curved line or arc. It is measured in units such as feet or meters.

What is cosecant-cubed?

Cosecant-cubed is a mathematical function that is the reciprocal of the sine function cubed. It is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus.

How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula:
Arc Length = radius * central angle (in radians).

What is the significance of arc length in mathematics?

Arc length is important in geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is used to calculate the area of a sector or segment of a circle, as well as in finding the length of a curve in calculus.

Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative as it is a measurement of distance and distance cannot be negative. If the central angle is negative, the arc length will be measured in the opposite direction of the curve.