What is the angular velocity of the two disks combined?

In summary: Keep in mind that the moment of inertia for a disk is 1/2*m*r^2, not 1/2*m*r. Good job!In summary, the problem involves two disks, one rotating freely at 55 rad/s and the other not rotating. When the two disks are dropped and stick together, the total angular velocity of the combined system is calculated using conservation of angular momentum. Taking into account the moment of inertia of the disks, the final angular velocity is found to be approximately 49.89 rad/s.
mastamind518

Homework Statement

A 1.6 kg disk with radius 0.63 m is rotating freely at 55 rad/s around an axis perpendicular to its center. A second disk that is not rotating is dropped onto the first disk so that their centers align, and they stick together. The mass of the second disk is 0.45 kg and its radius is 0.38 m. What is the angular velocity of the two disks combined?
rad/s

m1 = 1.6 Kg
r1 = 0.63 m
w1 = 55 rad/s
m2 = 0.45 Kg
r2 = 0.38 m

Homework Equations

conservation of angular momentum

L=mvr

v=rw

The Attempt at a Solution

i set up the equation as... (m1)(v1)(r1)=(m1r1 + m2r2)(v)

where v1 = r1w1 and v is equal to the linear velocity(which should be same for both?)

I solved for v, and then divided by r1, since that's the radius of the whole system, and got an answer of 47.02rad/s. The answer key says the answer is 50 rad/s...

which concept did i get wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

For rotational momentum don't you want to consider the Moment of Inertia of the disks and not just the mass?

For a solid disk I = 1/2*m*r2

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

For rotational momentum don't you want to consider the Moment of Inertia of the disks and not just the mass?

For a solid disk I = 1/2*m*r2

Thanks a lot for that tip...

So by using moment, i would have...

(Iinitial)(winitial) = (Ifinal)(wfinal)

(1/2)(m1)(r1)^2(w1) = (1/2)(m1(r1)^2+m2(r2)^2)(w2) where w2 is the final angular velocity

I get 49.89rad/s for w2...just wanted to confirm i was doing it right...

Last edited:
mastamind518 said:
Thanks a lot for that tip...

So by using moment, i would have...

(Iinitial)(winitial) = (Ifinal)(wfinal)

(1/2)(m1)(r1)^2(w1) = (1/2)(m1(r1)^2+m2(r2)^2)(w2) where w2 is the final angular velocity

I get 49.89rad/s for w2...just wanted to confirm i was doing it right...

Without calculating it out, that looks like the right approach.

Related to What is the angular velocity of the two disks combined?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or revolving around a central axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of rotation.

3. What is the difference between linear velocity and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed of an object rotating around a central axis.

4. How does the angular velocity of two disks combine?

The angular velocity of two disks can combine in various ways, depending on how they are connected. If they are connected by a fixed axis, their angular velocities will add together. If they are connected by a belt or chain, their angular velocities will be equal.

5. How can the angular velocity of the two disks be changed?

The angular velocity of the two disks can be changed by altering the torque or force applied to them, changing the mass distribution of the disks, or changing the radius of rotation.