What is the angular displacement of a thrown ball

In summary: That's the correct approach. θ=ωt is correct. Just be sure to convert t into seconds.Thanks for the kind words. You're welcome. In summary, the question asks for the angular displacement of a ball that is thrown to a man and reaches him in 60 seconds. The ball curves due to its average angular velocity of 330 rev/min. Using the equation θ=ωt and converting the angular velocity to radians per second, we can calculate the displacement to be 21 radians. The correct answer would be a) 21 rad.
ashezb

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown to a man and reaches him in 60s. The ball curves because it is spinning at an average angular velocity of 330 rev/min on its way to the man's hands. What is the angular displacement of the ball

Homework Equations

θ=ωt

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 330 rev/min to 17.279 rad/s
but when I plug it into the equation I get 1,036.74... I feel like I'm missing a final step here but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, ashezb. Welcome to PF!

Are you sure the time is 60s? That's one heck of a throwing arm :bugeye:

Your conversion of 330 rev/min to rad/s does not look correct. Remember, there are ##2\pi## radians in one revolution.

ashezb said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown to a man and reaches him in 60s. The ball curves because it is spinning at an average angular velocity of 330 rev/min on its way to the man's hands. What is the angular displacement of the ball

Homework Equations

θ=ωt

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 330 rev/min to 17.279 rad/s
but when I plug it into the equation I get 1,036.74... I feel like I'm missing a final step here but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. please help
Hi ashezb, Welcome to Physics Forums.

How did you convert 330 rpm to radians per second? Can you write it out? (I ask because your value doesn't look right).

Once you have the total angular distance, remember that the displacement should lie in the range 0 → ##2\pi##. How might you go about reducing (normalizing) the angle?

Now that I really think about it 60s is one heck of a throw, but the question does say 60s

Yes I did my conversion wrong. I used π in stead of 2π

but I am still confused...these are the given answers
a) 21 rad
b) 20 rad
c) 19 rad
d) 17 rad
e) 14 rad

The only way I can make is work is to turn the seconds into 0.60 seconds in which case a would be correct.

Thanx for being so welcoming and so helpful :)

ashezb said:
The only way I can make is work is to turn the seconds into 0.60 seconds in which case a would be correct.
Sounds good.

Related to What is the angular displacement of a thrown ball

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the measure of the change in angle of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity and is measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement refers to the change in angle of an object while linear displacement refers to the change in position of an object in a straight line. While both are measures of displacement, they are measured in different units and represent different types of motion.

3. How is angular displacement related to the path of a thrown ball?

Angular displacement is directly related to the path of a thrown ball as it represents the change in angle of the ball's trajectory. As the ball moves through the air, its angle in relation to the ground changes, resulting in an angular displacement.

4. Can angular displacement be negative?

Yes, angular displacement can be negative. This occurs when the object's final position is on the opposite side of its initial position, resulting in a negative change in angle.

5. How is angular displacement calculated?

Angular displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial angle from the final angle. It can also be calculated using the formula θ = s/r, where θ is the angular displacement, s is the arc length, and r is the radius.