What is the angular acceleration of a uniform rod when a string is released?

• Thread starter sebasalekhine7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the angular acceleration of a uniform rod that is hinged to a wall and held horizontally by a vertical massless string. The equation used to calculate the angular acceleration is \tau = I\alpha, where torque equals moment of inertia times angular acceleration. The moment of inertia for a uniform rod of length L is calculated to be \frac{1}{3}(ML^2). By setting the torque equal to half the weight of the rod times its length, the angular acceleration can be solved for and is found to be 7.35. The conversation also mentioned the physics science league competition in New Jersey and requested for the conversation to be forwarded to an email address.
sebasalekhine7
A uniform rod has a length of 2m. It is hinged to a wall at the left end and held horizontally by a vertical massless string at the right end. What is the angular acceleration of the rod the moment the string is released?

Physics news on Phys.org
angular accel = tangential accel (in this case gravity) / radius

Easiest way : [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex], which means torque = moment of inertia*angular acceleration.

What is the moment of inertia of a rod of uniform length about the end ?

What is the torque exerted by the weight of the rod about the end ?

I think that [tex]I=1/3(ML^2)[/tex]

sebasalekhine7 said:
I think that [tex]I=\frac{1}{3}(ML^2)[/tex]

Correct. You don't have to know the derivation, but it's fairly simple using a little calculus.

What's the torque about the end ?

Ok I got it, thanks, [tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex] when [tex]\tau =1/2mgL[/tex] and therefore [tex]\frac{1}{3}(ML^2)\alpha=1/2mgL[/tex] and angular acceleration ends up being 7.35.

You see, the problems I post here are the ones I am studying for the next physics science league, is a competition between schools here in NJ.

Last edited:
Excellent, you got it (except both your m's need to be the same case) ! :smile:

sebasalekhine7 said:
A uniform rod has a length of 2m. It is hinged to a wall at the left end and held horizontally by a vertical massless string at the right end. What is the angular acceleration of the rod the moment the string is released?

Please forward me your request to my email address <ken@mv.ru>

Related to What is the angular acceleration of a uniform rod when a string is released?

1. Can anyone really solve this problem?

It depends on the complexity of the problem and the skills and knowledge of the person attempting to solve it. Some problems may require advanced expertise or specialized tools, while others may be more accessible to a wider range of individuals.

2. How long does it usually take to solve a problem like this?

The time it takes to solve a problem can vary greatly depending on the problem itself, the approach taken, and the individual's level of experience and problem-solving abilities. Some problems may be solved quickly, while others may require months or even years of research and experimentation.

3. What is the best way to approach solving this problem?

There is no one "best" way to approach problem-solving, as it can vary greatly depending on the problem and the individual's strengths and preferences. Some common strategies include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, collaborating with others, and trying multiple approaches until a solution is found.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving difficult problems?

There are many different problem-solving techniques and strategies that can be helpful for approaching difficult problems. Some general tips include staying organized, thinking creatively, seeking out resources and assistance, and being persistent and resilient in the face of challenges.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when trying to solve a problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of intelligence and resourcefulness, as it shows that you are willing to seek out additional perspectives and expertise in order to find a solution. Collaborating with others and seeking advice and guidance can often lead to more successful and efficient problem-solving.