What is the Angle of a Conical Pendulum Rotating at 4 m/s with a 1.5m String?

In summary, a conical pendulum with a length of 1.5m and a rotation speed of 4ms-1 has an angle of 106.7 degrees to the vertical, which can be solved using the equations r = Lsinθ and tanθsinθ = v2/Lg. By rewriting the equation as a quadratic equation in cosθ, the angle can be solved for using basic equation solving skills.
GoodOldLimbo

Homework Statement

A conical pendulum has length (L) 1.5m and rotates at 4ms-1. What is it's angle (θ) to the vertical?

Homework Equations

r = Lsinθ

tanθ = v2/Lsinθg

tanθsinθ = v2/Lg

sinθsinθ/cosθ = v2/Lg

sin2θ/cosθ = v2/Lg

sin2θ + cos2θ = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've followed the list of equations given:

L = 1.5m
v: 4ms
g: 10ms2 (In our workbook, we usually round it up to 10)

r = 1.5sinθ

tanθ = 42/1.5sinθg

tanθsinθ = 42/1.5 x 10

I get stuck here and I'm not sure how to continue. I get the impression that I've approached this the wrong way entirely :P

Any help? It would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing wrong with your approach. Why don't you go ahead with it?

Well, when I get to sin2θ + cos2 θ = 1, I assume you can cancel out the square because the square root of one is one. But if it's sinθ + cosθ = 1, I'm not really sure how to go about that. cos-1 x 1 = 0, and sin-1 x 1 = 90, so θ = 90? Even then, I'm not really sure how to write that.

tanθ=sin/cos, so you get sin^2/cos. Write sin^2 = 1-cos^2 and you end up with a quadratic equation in cos.

I'm still stuck on this question. Is anyone willing to help me? I'm still not sure how to go from sin^2 θ / cos θ = 106.7 to sin^2θ + cos^2 θ = 1.

Screeech. That's me hitting the brakes. I suppose our posts 3 and 4 crossed, because otherwise I would have been sleepless since!

You learned about Pythagoras with his simplest triangle ? Like 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2 ? And you still post something like that, amounting to "therefore 3+4=5" ?

Or, conversely: 3+4 = 7 so 3^2+4^2 = 49 ? I hope not!

Did you read my post #4? If you did, for a while already you'd have in you notebook the relationship

##{1-\cos^2\theta\over\cos\theta} = {v^2\over Lg}##

So you would definitely not have 106.7 on the right hand side, because that is ##{v^2 g\over L}##. Easily mistaken if typing things like tanθ = 42 /1.5sinθg without brackets!

Equation solving skills make you see a simple quadratic equation in ##\cos\theta## here. If you don't see it, rewrite using ##x## instead of ##\cos\theta##.

If you don't see it yet, multiply with ##x## on the left and on the right. Later check that ##x\ne 0##

Related to What is the Angle of a Conical Pendulum Rotating at 4 m/s with a 1.5m String?

1. What is a vertical pendulum?

A vertical pendulum is a physical system consisting of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod, and allowed to swing freely in a vertical plane. It is often used as a simple model to study the dynamics of a pendulum in a gravitational field.

2. How does a vertical pendulum work?

A vertical pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as the mass swings back and forth. The force of gravity acting on the mass causes it to accelerate in a downward direction, and as it reaches the bottom of its swing, it has the maximum kinetic energy. As it swings back up, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.

3. What factors affect the motion of a vertical pendulum?

The motion of a vertical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the object, and the amplitude (angle) of the swing. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the motion.

4. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a vertical pendulum?

A simple pendulum swings in a horizontal plane, while a vertical pendulum swings in a vertical plane. The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string and the force of gravity, while a vertical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the object, and the amplitude of the swing.

5. What are some real-world applications of vertical pendulums?

Vertical pendulums have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and even sports. They are used to study the principles of motion and energy, and can also be used in the design of structures such as bridges and towers. In sports, vertical pendulums are used in activities such as bungee jumping and rock climbing to simulate the motion of a pendulum.