Calculate Angle of 3.50 kg Mass on 1.59 m String Revolving at 2.99 m/s

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle between the string and the vertical when a mass is suspended from a string and revolving in a horizontal circle. The equations used are a_c = v^2/r, F = m*a_c, tanθ=sinθ/cosθ, and sin^2θ=1-cos^2θ. Two methods are suggested to solve for θ: using a quadratic equation to solve for cosθ and then taking the arccosine, or using a quadratic equation to solve for r^2 and then taking the square root. Both methods result in the answer of θ=41.1°.
gummybeargirl

Homework Statement

A mass of 3.50 kg is suspended from a 1.59 m long string. It revolves in a horizontal circle as shown in the figure.
The tangential speed of the mass is 2.99 m/s. Calculate the angle between the string and the vertical.

Homework Equations

a_c = v^2/r
F = m*a_c
tanθ=sinθ/cosθ
sin^2θ=1-cos^2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Vertical: T*cos(θ)-m*g=0 → T=(m*g)/cos(θ)
Horizontal: T*sin(θ) = m*a_c
Combined the two: ((m*g)/cos(θ))sin(θ)=m*a_c → m*g*tan(θ)=m*a_c → g*tan(θ)=a_c
we know that a_c=v^2/r, plug that into get g*tan(θ)=v^2/r
r=L*sin(θ) → g*tan(θ)=v^2/(L*sin(θ))

I cannot get past this point and the notes on the problem say that a quadratic equation needs to be solved at some point.

Attachments

• prob03_pendulum.gif
    prob03_pendulum.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
gummybeargirl said:

Homework Statement

A mass of 3.50 kg is suspended from a 1.59 m long string. It revolves in a horizontal circle as shown in the figure.
The tangential speed of the mass is 2.99 m/s. Calculate the angle between the string and the vertical.

Homework Equations

a_c = v^2/r
F = m*a_c
tanθ=sinθ/cosθ
sin^2θ=1-cos^2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Vertical: T*cos(θ)-m*g=0 → T=(m*g)/cos(θ)
Horizontal: T*sin(θ) = m*a_c
Combined the two: ((m*g)/cos(θ))sin(θ)=m*a_c → m*g*tan(θ)=m*a_c → g*tan(θ)=a_c
we know that a_c=v^2/r, plug that into get g*tan(θ)=v^2/r
r=L*sin(θ) → g*tan(θ)=v^2/(L*sin(θ))

I cannot get past this point and the notes on the problem say that a quadratic equation needs to be solved at some point.

You wrote r in terms of θ and proceeded to try to solve for θ. It left to a bit of a dead end, so now try to solve for r

See if you can write tan(θ) in terms of known quantites and r (it can be done) then you'll be able to solve it

Likes 1 person
Good work so far. Continue from your last equation. Try isolating the trig functions on one side of the equation and all the constants on the other side. Let x = cosθ and see if you can get a quadratic equation in x.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Good work so far. Continue from your last equation. Try isolating the trig functions on one side of the equation and all the constants on the other side. Let x = cosθ and see if you can get a quadratic equation in x.

I don't think that will work. The equation becomes:

[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{gL}=\frac{sin^{2}(θ)}{cos(θ)}[/itex]There is another way to solve for θ (involving the quadratic equation) if you solve for r and then use r to find θ (once you know r, θ is trivial)EDIT: actually you're right you could solve it that way... (solution removed) sorry about that you are correct

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
I don't think that will work. The equation becomes:

[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{gL}=\frac{sin^{2}(θ)}{cos(θ)}[/itex]

I understand where this equation comes from, but I am not sure how you would go about solving that for θ.

Nathaneal said:
There is another way to solve for θ (involving the quadratic equation) if you solve for r and then use r to find θ (once you know r, θ is trivial)

I don't understand at all what I would use to solve for r or how this would result in a quadratic equation.
I am struggling with every aspect of this problem.

Nevermind! I figured it out, thank you all so much for you guidance in this problem.

I know you said you figured it out now, but I'll still show you the other methods.

gummybeargirl said:
I understand where this equation comes from, but I am not sure how you would go about solving that for θ.
You could rewrite [itex]sin^2(θ)[/itex] as [itex]1-cos^2(θ)[/itex] (from pythagorean theorem) and then the equation becomes:
[itex]\frac{v^2}{gL}=\frac{1-cos^2(θ)}{cos(θ)}=\frac{1}{cos(θ)}-cos(θ)[/itex]
Multiply both sides by cos(θ) and rearrange and you'll get a quadratic equation (with x=cos(θ)) which can be solved for cos(θ):
[itex]cos^2(θ)+\frac{v^2}{gL}cos(θ)-1=0[/itex]
There will only be one root with an absolute value of less than one, so simply take the arccosine of it and you'll have θ
gummybeargirl said:
I don't understand at all what I would use to solve for r or how this would result in a quadratic equation.
You had written the equation [itex]g*tan(θ)=\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]
Since [itex]L^2=r^2+y^2[/itex] (where y is the unknown side of the triangle) you could use the equation [itex]L^2=r^2+(r*cot(θ))^2[/itex]
(... r*cot(θ) is the unknown side ...) to rewrite [itex]tan(θ)[/itex] as [itex]\sqrt{\frac{r^2}{L^2-r^2}}[/itex]
Plug that expression into the "tan(θ)" part of your expression (and then square both sides and rearrange) and you'll get a quadratic equation (with [itex]x=r^2[/itex]) which you can solve for [itex]r^2[/itex]
The quadratic equation would be:
[itex]g^2r^4+v^4r^2-v^4L^2=0[/itex]
There will be only 1 positive root, so take the square root of that to find r, then take the arcsin of (r/L) to find θUsing either method, you'll find θ=41.1° (I double checked)

Last edited:

Related to Calculate Angle of 3.50 kg Mass on 1.59 m String Revolving at 2.99 m/s

1. How do you calculate the angle of a 3.50 kg mass on a 1.59 m string revolving at 2.99 m/s?

The angle can be calculated using the formula θ = arccos(v^2 / rg), where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In this case, θ = arccos((2.99 m/s)^2 / (1.59 m * 9.8 m/s^2)) = 51.4 degrees.

2. Why is it important to calculate the angle of a revolving mass?

Calculating the angle allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of the centripetal force acting on the mass. This is important in understanding the motion and stability of the object.

3. How does changing the mass affect the angle of revolution?

As the mass increases, the angle of revolution will decrease. This is because a heavier mass requires a greater centripetal force to maintain its circular motion, resulting in a smaller angle.

4. Can the angle of revolution be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle of revolution cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at 90 degrees, the mass is directly perpendicular to the string and would no longer be in circular motion.

5. What other factors can affect the angle of revolution?

The angle of revolution can also be affected by the length of the string and the speed at which the mass is revolving. A longer string or a higher speed will result in a larger angle of revolution.