What is the angle between the normals to the surface at two given points?

In summary: In this scenario, the vector V1 * V2 is just the dot product of the vectors a,b,c. So the answer would be (x,y,z) * (a,b,c) = d.
msslowlearner

Homework Statement

find the angle between the normals to the surface xy=z2 at the points (1,4,2) and (-3,-3,3)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

del S = 2zy i + 2zx j
and at the two points, del S = 16i+4j and del S = -18i-18j

using the dot product, i got cos theta = -5/(4*sqrt 34)

which is NOT the answer. Is my partial derivative equation right ? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
msslowlearner said:

Homework Statement

find the angle between the normals to the surface xy=z2 at the points (1,4,2) and (-3,-3,3)

Homework Equations

none

del S = 2zy i + 2zx j

No, it isn't right. Write f = xy - z2 = 0 and calculate

∇f = <fx,fy,fz>

msslowlearner said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

none

del S = 2zy i + 2zx j

It doesn't look right to me. I don't understand how you got what you did.

The equation for your surface is xy = z2, or equivalently, xy - z2 = 0. The implied function here is F(x, y, z) = xy - z2. Your surface is the set of points (x, y, z) for which F(x, y, z) = 0.

For the gradient, calculate [itex]\nabla F[/itex] and evaluate it at the two points. Each will give you a vector. From these vectors you can determine the angle, using the approach that you showed above.

sorry .. should have checked the partial derivative part. I thought i got the idea wrong. Its heartening to know I'm on the right track atleast :) thankyou

stallionx,

Please don't post complete solutions.

See the rules for posting Homework Help:
"On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."

It may still be possible to Edit your post.

SammyS said:
stallionx,

Please don't post complete solutions.

See the rules for posting Homework Help:
"On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."

I am sorry, Sir.

For a tangent plane equation to the z=f(x,y))

z-z0=(delz/delx)(x-x0)+(delz/dely)(y-y0)

which says the normal vector is < delz/delx , delz/dely , -1>

Find those two vectors for 2 different points

Dot product these vectors

V1 * V2 = length(V1)*length(V2) * Cos(theta)

Theta = ACOS ( V1*V2)/ ( product of lengths of perpendicular/ orthogonal vectors )

stallionx said:
For a tangent plane equation to the z=f(x,y))

z-z0=(delz/delx)(x-x0)+(delz/dely)(y-y0)

which says the normal vector is < delz/delx , delz/dely , -1>

Find those two vectors for 2 different points

Dot product these vectors

V1 * V2 = length(V1)*length(V2) * Cos(theta)

Theta = ACOS ( V1*V2)/ ( product of lengths of perpendicular/ orthogonal vectors )

DOT PRODUCT can be found from coordinates multiplication and addition

CASE : (x,y,z) dot (a,b,c) is xa+by+cz

Related to What is the angle between the normals to the surface at two given points?

What is the angle between two surfaces?

The angle between two surfaces is the measure of the deviation or tilt between the two surfaces at a specific point of intersection.

How is the angle between two surfaces calculated?

The angle between two surfaces can be calculated by finding the angle between two lines that are perpendicular to the surfaces at the point of intersection. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

What is the importance of knowing the angle between two surfaces?

Knowing the angle between two surfaces is important in various fields such as engineering, construction, and physics. It helps in determining the stability and strength of structures, the direction of forces and vectors, and the angle of incidence and reflection of light and sound waves.

Can the angle between two surfaces change?

Yes, the angle between two surfaces can change depending on the movement or deformation of the surfaces. It can also change if the point of intersection between the surfaces moves or if the surfaces themselves change in shape or orientation.

How can the angle between two surfaces be measured?

The angle between two surfaces can be measured using a protractor or angle measuring tool. It can also be measured using advanced techniques such as laser scanning and computer-aided measurement systems.