What is the amount of steam needed to heat 0.50kg of diet cola to 90 deg C?

In summary, the question asked for a solution to heating .50 kg of diet cola mostly water, by adding steam. The student attempted to solve the problem using the equation Q(cola)+Q(steam)=0. However, the equation is not correct because the steam gives off latent heat and then cools down to 90 degrees Celsius. To solve the problem, the student would have to take into account the steam that turns back into water when it hits the cola.
03cobra 87gn

Homework Statement

heating .50kg of diet cola mostly water, by
adding steam. How much steam should be bubbled in so final temp. is 90 deg C

Homework Equations

what i tired so far downt know if it the right way to go abotu the problem is specific heat capacity Q=mc detlaT

E tot of the system =0 so Q1+Q2 =0

The Attempt at a Solution

so i did Q(cola)+Q(steam)=0

M(cola)*C(cola)*(Tf-Ti)+M(steam)*C(steam)*deltaT

500g*1 cal/g*deg C (90-20 deg C) + M steam * .480 cal/g*deg C * delta T

the last delta T on the right do i keep that in or do i use the temp. of steam in my book?

if i use 7 deg C for the stema delta T i get 1.04 kg of steam
if i use the 110 deg C which is under the specific heat of steam i get .662 kg

i don't know which or if either one are right so any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your eqn is not correct.

The temp of the water rises from 20 deg (not mentioned in problem, but used in eqn) to 90 deg. This will be your LHS. The steam is presumably at 100 deg. The steam gives off latent heat and then cools down to 90 deg. This will be your RHS.

Now set up the eqn. If you are using a consistent system of units. like the CGS, you don't have to write the units in the middle of the eqns -- only the values will do.

20 deg C was not listed in the prob. so i used it i remember our teacher saying if its not listed in the prob. to use 20 deg C.

so my eqn would look like this? 500 * 1 (20-90) + M steam * .480 (100-90)

M steam = 7.3 kg

i don't have the answer to the prob. to check to see if its right.

03cobra 87gn said:
so my eqn would look like this? 500 * 1 (20-90) + M steam * .480 (100-90)

That's not an eqn -- where's the equality sign? And what is this 0.480? In CGS, the latent heat of evaporation is 540 cal/g.

If M is the mass of steam reqd, your RHS should have M*540+M*1*(100-90).

The water gains heat, and its temp rises from 20 C to 90 C. This heat is supplied by the steam condensing into water and giving up the latent heat, and then this water at 100 C cooling down to 90 C.

Form the eqn and solve it. (It's already almost done.)

I was doing it differently I was using the conservation of energy SDQ=0

So I was doing DQcola + DQsteam =0 (cola in prob. said to be mostly water so I used water)

I did M cola * c cola * DT + M steam * L vap. = 0

500 * 1 * (20-90) + M steam * 540 =0

540 M steam = 35000

M steam = 68.4g and all the units cancel out nicely and I’m just left with grams

Thanks for the help!

03cobra 87gn said:
So I was doing DQcola + DQsteam =0 (cola in prob. said to be mostly water so I used water)

I did M cola * c cola * DT + M steam * L vap. = 0

500 * 1 * (20-90) + M steam * 540 =0

540 M steam = 35000

M steam = 68.4g and all the units cancel out nicely and I’m just left with grams

You did not take into consideration the decrease in the temp of the water formed from steam. How can your answer be correct?

well i the question stated heating .50 kg of cola (mostly water), by adding steam. How musch steam should be bubbled in so that the final temp. is 90 deg C.

isnt the steam just being used as the heat source? so your saying that i have to take into account the steam that turns back into water when it hits the cola? the question never said if or what the cola is in. where would i put the other change in temp at?

03cobra 87gn said:
isnt the steam just being used as the heat source? so your saying that i have to take into account the steam that turns back into water when it hits the cola? the question never said if or what the cola is in. where would i put the other change in temp at?

Now you discussing good Science. The steam has to condense to water at 100 C, and this water will cool down, and it will be in the mixture. The final result has to take that into account.

Heat gained by the colder objects = heat lost by the hotter objects.

Read post #4 again and carefully this time.

So [tex]\Delta[/tex]Qsteam +[tex]\Delta[/tex]Qcola=0

Heat lost by one system = heat gaind by the other

DQ steam = DQ cola

In my book the formula latent heat is Q=ML there is no change in temp

500 * 1 * (20-90) = M steam 540

Where would I put change in temp of the steam from 100-90?? The Lv for steam doesn’t have deg C in it.

OR is this what you mean

so my RHS would be M steam * 540 + M water condensed * 1 * (100-90)?
and the LHS would be M cola *1*(20-90)

M cola *1*(20-90) = M steam * 540 + M water condensed * 1 * (100-90) i don't know the other mass, or am i still just not getting :confused:

03cobra 87gn said:
OR is this what you mean

so my RHS would be M steam * 540 + M water condensed * 1 * (100-90)?
and the LHS would be M cola *1*(20-90)

M cola *1*(20-90) = M steam * 540 + M water condensed * 1 * (100-90) i don't know the other mass, or am i still just not getting :confused:

Correct 20-90 to 90-20 above.

You are there, but you don't know it. Give it a few minutes.

If some steam condenses into water, does the MASS change? :frown:

That's it, mark it solved after you actually solve it. :smile: :zzz:

oohhh i totally missed that i got it now. Thanks for all the help:biggrin: i might be posting another one that's giving me trouble, I'm gona see if i can figure it out.

Related to What is the amount of steam needed to heat 0.50kg of diet cola to 90 deg C?

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius (or 1 Kelvin). It is often represented by the symbol "C" and has units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) in the metric system.

2. How do you calculate specific heat?

Specific heat can be calculated using the formula: Q = m x C x ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on the given information.

3. Why is specific heat important?

Specific heat is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also allows us to calculate the amount of heat needed to heat or cool a substance, which is useful in a variety of applications such as cooking, engineering, and thermodynamics.

4. How does specific heat differ between substances?

Specific heat differs between substances because it is dependent on the molecular structure and composition of the substance. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces, such as water, tend to have higher specific heats because it takes more energy to change their temperature. Substances with weaker intermolecular forces, such as metals, tend to have lower specific heats.

5. Can specific heat change?

Yes, specific heat can change depending on the conditions of the substance. For example, specific heat typically increases as the temperature of a substance increases. It can also vary depending on the phase of the substance (i.e. solid, liquid, gas) and whether any phase changes are occurring. Additionally, specific heat can be affected by impurities or changes in pressure.