What Is the Air Solubility Coefficient of Kerosene-Based Aircraft Fuel?

In summary, the Ostwald coefficient can be used to calculate the air solubility of aviation fuels, but you will need to also calculate the average molecular weight of the vapor mixture.
robsmith82
Hello,

How would I go about finding the air solubility coefficient of a kerosene based aircraft fuel? I know that as a rule of thumb, air pressure is close to percent dissolved air, eg. at atmosphere, 15 psi gives around 15% dissolved air, but how would I calculate the coefficient accurately?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would find the partial pressure of the liquid of interest at the temperature you are given. That may not be straightforward. From that partial pressure you can calculate the number of moles of liquid at that temperature using some form of the ideal gas law (IGL). There are several approximations or enhancements to the IGL that address non-ideal behavior. Multiply the moles by the average formula weight of the liquid to obtain the mass of vapor (assume kerosene?). The gas constant will indicate the units of volume which that mass occupies.

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure how I can find the partial pressure. I can find the true vapour pressure from the reid vapour pressure if it is possible to do from this?

robsmith82 said:
Not sure how I can find the partial pressure. I can find the true vapour pressure from the reid vapour pressure if it is possible to do from this?

It may be but I'm not sure how that might be done. Here is a thesis on the subject. I can't vouch for its accuracy.

http://www.ddbst.de/new/InfoMat/Yash_Nannoolal_Phd_Thesis_2007.pdf

Since your liquid (kerosene or JP8) has a boiling range from 150C to 290C, data for a single substance may not be helpful. The thesis and references therein present methods to calculate pressures of more complex mixtures like this. After you calculate the partial pressure you still need to estimate the average molecular weight of the vapor mixture. I have no idea how to do that without some type of measurement.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to look into the Ostwald Coefficient.

robsmith82
How would I go about finding the air solubility coefficient of a kerosene based aircraft fuel?
You need to look into the Ostwald Coefficient.

Here you are.

The links below show the Ostwald coefficient for aviation kerosine in terms of volume of gas per volume of fuel (independent of pressure):

http://gp5.home.infionline.net/ost1.gif
http://gp5.home.infionline.net/ost2.gif

The data comes from:

"The Effect of Fuel on an Inert Ullage in a Commercial Transport Airplane Fuel Tank"
by William M. Cavage, July 2005,
DOT/FAA/AR-05/25 Office of Aviation Research Washington, D.C. 20591,
APPENDIX A—GRAPH OF OSTWALD COEFFICIENT FOR OXYGEN AND NITROGEN, page A-2.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Is the Air Solubility Coefficient of Kerosene-Based Aircraft Fuel?

1. What is air solubility coefficient?

The air solubility coefficient is a measure of how easily a gas dissolves in air. It is typically expressed as the amount of gas that can dissolve in a unit volume of air at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is air solubility coefficient measured?

Air solubility coefficient can be measured in a variety of ways, depending on the specific gas being studied. One common method is to measure the concentration of the gas in a known volume of air, and then use mathematical equations to calculate the solubility coefficient.

3. What factors affect air solubility coefficient?

The solubility of a gas in air can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the gas and the air. For example, higher temperatures typically decrease the solubility of gases in air, while higher pressures can increase solubility.

4. Why is air solubility coefficient important?

Air solubility coefficient is important in many scientific fields, including environmental science, chemistry, and meteorology. It can help us understand how gases behave in the atmosphere, and how they may interact with other substances or impact the environment.

5. How does air solubility coefficient differ from water solubility coefficient?

Air solubility coefficient and water solubility coefficient are both measures of how easily a gas dissolves in a substance. However, they differ in the substance they are measuring. Air solubility coefficient measures the solubility of a gas in air, while water solubility coefficient measures the solubility of a gas in water. Additionally, the values for these coefficients can vary greatly depending on the specific gas and the conditions of the measurement.