What is the actual size of the frictional force

In summary: You are correct in that cos(52.57) is needed in the equation for fs(5.1). When solving for the torque, it is important to use the correct trigonometric function. When doing a torque problem, it is helpful to identify the type of triangle that is present and use the appropriate trigonometric function. In this case, the triangle is a right triangle and the function to use is cosine.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder 5.1 m long rests against a frictionless, vertical wall with its lower end 3.1 m from the wall. The ladder weighs 165 N. The coefficient of static friction between the foot of the ladder and the ground is 0.39 . A painter weighing 739 N climbs slowly up the ladder.

What is the actual size of the frictional force when the painter has climbed 0.9393 m along the ladder?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so confused on this type of torque problem. I do not even know where to begin.

this is what i came up with.

I used where the ladder touches the floor as my pivot point.

t = torque

tman + tladder - tfric = 0

165N(0.9393m) + 739N(5.1/2m) - fs(5.1) = 0

i feel like i am leaving some stuff out :(

I am greatly confused and any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Treating the foot of the ladder as the pivot point is correct. However, your equation is wrong as it stands. Probably due to a typo, you have the weights of the man and ladder switched around. Also, your final equation will need to make use of the angle, [itex]\theta[/itex], between the ladder and the ground.

As you said, since the ladder experiences no angular acceleration, the net torque acting on it must be zero. You are right in summing the torques due to the weights of the man and ladder, but you need to use [itex]\tau = rF\sin \theta [/itex]. The sum of these two torques is balanced by the single torque acting at the top of the ladder due to the horizontal force of the frictionless wall.

When you start to see (sin/cos) or (cos/sin) terms appearing in your equations then you are probably close to the solution.

i am a little confused as to where to use sin and cos. Like sin for which terms and cos for which terms.

so this is what i have right now.

739N(.9393m)(sin(52.57)) + 165N(5.1/2m)(sin(52.57)) - fs(5.1) = 0

fs = 173.6 N

It says my answer is wrong but close. Can you see why?

thanks for the input :)

Last edited:

can anyone see why this is wrong? why is it close but not right?

thank you

Can anyone please help me with why this is wrong.

My homework is due soon and this is my only problem left :(

I always need to sketch out a large diagram for this type of question. Identify similar triangles on the diagram and you will see that your sin(52.57) is not correct, and your fs(5.1) needs to have either a sin(52.57) or a cos(52.57) term in it.

By chance, it seems that the answer to this question is only a few percent lower than your answer. That must be why it is telling you you're close!

I ended up figuring out that this was the right equation to use.

[itex]739N(0.9393m)(cos(52.57)) + 165N(\\frac{5.1m}{2})(cos(52.57)) - f_s(5.1m)(cos(37.43)) = 0 [/itex]

[itex]f_s = 167.3 N [/itex]

I am a little confused though when to use sin and cos and what angle to use with them when doing a torque problem like this. Could you explain when i should use sin or cos and when to use what angle.

I am just a little confused about that, but i get the rest of the problem :)

Thank you

Related to What is the actual size of the frictional force

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities and adhesions between the surfaces.

2. How is the frictional force calculated?

The frictional force can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact and their roughness.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the frictional force?

The magnitude of the frictional force depends on the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the surface area of contact between the two surfaces. It also depends on the type of surfaces and their roughness.

4. Can the frictional force be reduced?

Yes, the frictional force can be reduced by using a lubricant between the two surfaces or by making the surfaces smoother. Additionally, reducing the normal force can also decrease the frictional force.

5. How does the frictional force affect the motion of objects?

The frictional force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. It can also cause objects to come to a stop if the force is greater than the applied force. However, friction is necessary for many everyday tasks, such as walking and driving, as it provides necessary traction and stability.