Torque - ladder against a wall

In summary, the painter can climb a maximum of 0.9393 meters before the ladder slips, and the actual friction force is 167.3 newtons.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder 5.1 m long rests against a frictionless, vertical wall with its lower end 3.1 m from the wall. The ladder weighs 165 N. The coefficient of static friction between the foot of the ladder and the ground is 0.39 . A painter weighing 739 N climbs slowly up the ladder.

1) What is the actual size of the frictional force when the painter has climbed 0.9393 m along the ladder?

2) How far along the ladder can the painter climb before the ladder starts to slip?

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau=r*Fsin(\theta[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \theta = cos^{-1}\frac{3.1}{5.1} = 52.57\degree [/itex]

This is the angle where the ladder meets with the floor

For the first question i found that

[itex] \tau_{man} + \tau_{ladder} - \tau_{friction} = 0 [/itex]

I used my pivot point to be at the bottom of the ladder where it meets with the floor

[itex]739N(0.9393m)(cos(52.57)) + 165N(\frac{5.1m}{2})(cos(52.57)) - f_s(5.1m)(cos(37.43)) = 0[/itex]

[itex] f_s = 167.3 N [/itex]

I know this is the right answer but i am a little confused on when to use sine or cosine and what angle to use with it. Could anyone explain this to me? I have a test in a few days and i really need to know this :)

I Could not figure out part 2 so after i figure out how to use sine and cosine for part 1 i will give part 2 a shot.

Thank you for any explanations on this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder 5.1 m long rests against a frictionless, vertical wall with its lower end 3.1 m from the wall. The ladder weighs 165 N. The coefficient of static friction between the foot of the ladder and the ground is 0.39 . A painter weighing 739 N climbs slowly up the ladder.

1) What is the actual size of the frictional force when the painter has climbed 0.9393 m along the ladder?

2) How far along the ladder can the painter climb before the ladder starts to slip?

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau=r*Fsin(\theta[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \theta = cos^{-1}\frac{3.1}{5.1} = 52.57\degree [/itex]

This is the angle where the ladder meets with the floor

For the first question i found that

[itex] \tau_{man} + \tau_{ladder} - \tau_{friction} = 0 [/itex]
That last term should be [tex]\tau_{normal force (N) between wall and ladder}[/tex]
I used my pivot point to be at the bottom of the ladder where it meets with the floor

[itex]739N(0.9393m)(cos(52.57)) + 165N(\frac{5.1m}{2})(cos(52.57)) - f_s(5.1m)(cos(37.43)) = 0[/itex]
Again that last term should note N instead of f_s
[itex] f_s = 167.3 N [/itex]
From Newton 1 in the x direction, f_s = N
I know this is the right answer but i am a little confused on when to use sine or cosine and what angle to use with it. Could anyone explain this to me? I have a test in a few days and i really need to know this :)

I Could not figure out part 2 so after i figure out how to use sine and cosine for part 1 i will give part 2 a shot.

Thank you for any explanations on this :)
Sounds like you were taking a stab at sin vs. cos, and you didn't use the proper forces when calculating torques. There are 2 ways to calculate the magnitude of a torque: one is per your relevant equation, where theta is the included angle between the force and position vector. The other is Torque = force times perpendicular distance from line of action of the force to the pivot point. Either way gives you the same result, using geometry and trig. Be consistent in your approach. Watch plus and minus signs.

Thank you Jay. I will go through the problem again tonight or tomorrow and if i get stuck somewhere i will post here again.

Thanks again :)

Related to Torque - ladder against a wall

What is torque and how does it relate to a ladder against a wall?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the case of a ladder against a wall, the torque is the force that is applied to the ladder as it presses against the wall.

How do you calculate torque in relation to a ladder against a wall?

The torque applied to a ladder against a wall can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the ladder by the distance between the point of rotation (where the ladder touches the ground) and the point where the force is applied.

What factors affect the torque of a ladder against a wall?

The torque of a ladder against a wall can be affected by the weight of the ladder, the angle at which it is leaning against the wall, and the force applied to the ladder.

Why is it important to understand torque when using a ladder against a wall?

Understanding torque is important when using a ladder against a wall because it helps to determine the stability of the ladder and the amount of force that can be safely applied to it. It can also help prevent accidents and injuries.

How can torque be adjusted to make a ladder against a wall more stable?

To make a ladder against a wall more stable, you can adjust the angle of the ladder and the force applied to it. Increasing the angle and decreasing the force can help distribute the weight of the ladder more evenly, resulting in a more stable position.