What is the acceleration of a thrown ball relative to the ground?

In summary, the ball's acceleration with respect to the ground is either the gravitational acceleration or the same as the elevator's acceleration when it is on the floor or roof of the elevator. This is because the elevator is an accelerating frame of reference and objects inside feel an additional force, while gravity is the only force that acts on the ball when it is in the air. This understanding is important when learning about general relativity.
terryds

Homework Statement

An elevator is going up from the ground with acceleration aelevator/ground.
When the elevator's height measured from the ground is h, its velocity us velevator/ground (assume that t = 0 in this condition), a ball is thrown up with velocity vball/elevator relative to the elevator. The gravitational acceleration is g.
What is the acceleration of the ball with respect to the ground ?
In what time does the ball height get maximum measured from the ground ?

2. Relevant equation
v(t) = v(0) + a t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the ball acceleration relative to the ground is aelevator/ground/ - g
And, the ball velocity relative to the ground is Vb/e+Ve/g
So, the time it takes to get maximum height is :
0 = Vb/e+Ve/g + (aelevator/ground - g) t
t = - (Vb/e+Ve/g) / (aelevator/ground - g)
t = (Vb/e+Ve/g) / (g - aelevator/ground)

Am I right ?
I'm in doubt because someone in yahoo answer says that the acceleration is just -g (see https://id.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101112142831AAzmKKU ). It is in Bahasa Indonesia, not English)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Terry, and a (belated) welcome to PF :)

You want to ask yourself what force(s) is (are) working on the ball once it's in the air.

For an acceleration aeg - g a force Fnet = m ( aeg - g ) is needed. I can see how gravity exercises a force Fg = - mg but I have trouble imaginiing where a force Fa = m aeg would have to come from.

BvU said:
Hello Terry, and a (belated) welcome to PF :)

You want to ask yourself what force(s) is (are) working on the ball once it's in the air.

For an acceleration aeg - g a force Fnet = m ( aeg - g ) is needed. I can see how gravity exercises a force Fg = - mg but I have trouble imaginiing where a force Fa = m aeg would have to come from.

Thanks for your nice welcome :)
Hmm I'm not quite sure.. But, I think it is the force from the elevator. Since the elevator is accelerating, it has force, right ?
So, what do you think about the ball acceleration relative to the ground ?

How can the accelerator exercise a force on the ball once it's in the air ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes terryds
BvU said:
How can the accelerator exercise a force on the ball once it's in the air ?

Hmm... I think it's because the ball is in the elevator.
What i thought is that the ball is thrown in the elevator.
But, I know that the question (problem statement) doesn't mention that the ball is in the elevator.
It seems that I have misunderstood the question. :L

Thanks for your answers for guiding me to the understanding of the problem :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Not so. Someone riding in the elevator throws up the ball. You did not misunderstand the exercise. So bear with me, since this is a very important concept (Newton and Einstein preceded us wondering about such things!)

A similar example is a marble on the floor of a departing train: it will roll backwards until it hits something that moves and accelerates with the train. When we stand in the train, we have to lean forward (or hold on to something). And backward when the train brakes. In such circumstances we find ourselves in "an accelerating frame of reference". Our accelerating elevator is such a frame too. If it's not accelerating (and also if it IS ) objects with mass inside feel gravity. Objects that are attached to the accelerator (standing on the floor, fixed to the wall or the ceiling) "feel" an additional force F = ma : To go with the accelerator, you need to undergo an additional force F = ma, e.g. from the floor pushing you up. So you feel heavier when it takes off upwards, and lighter when it brakes and decelerates.

The elevator can't exercise such an extra force on the ball, once it's in the air. (Like -- in the horizontal acceleration situation -- the train floor can't accelerate the marble. For a passenger the marble seems to accelerate under an apparent force. Spooky. For someone on the platform, the marble lies still and the train pulls away under it !)

Likes terryds
BvU said:
No. Not so. Someone riding in the elevator throws up the ball. You did not misunderstand the exercise. So bear with me, since this is a very important concept (Newton and Einstein preceded us wondering about such things!)

A similar example is a marble on the floor of a departing train: it will roll backwards until it hits something that moves and accelerates with the train. When we stand in the train, we have to lean forward (or hold on to something). And backward when the train brakes. In such circumstances we find ourselves in "an accelerating frame of reference". Our accelerating elevator is such a frame too. If it's not accelerating (and also if it IS ) objects with mass inside feel gravity. Objects that are attached to the accelerator (standing on the floor, fixed to the wall or the ceiling) "feel" an additional force F = ma : To go with the accelerator, you need to undergo an additional force F = ma, e.g. from the floor pushing you up. So you feel heavier when it takes off upwards, and lighter when it brakes and decelerates.

The elevator can't exercise such an extra force on the ball, once it's in the air. (Like -- in the horizontal acceleration situation -- the train floor can't accelerate the marble. For a passenger the marble seems to accelerate under an apparent force. Spooky. For someone on the platform, the marble lies still and the train pulls away under it !)

Thanks. You helped me a lot.
So, when the ball is in the air (not in the floor nor the roof of the elevator), its acceleration with respect to the ground is the gravitational acceleration.
And, when the ball is on the floor or on the roof of the elevator, its acceleration will be the same as the elevator acceleration with respect to the ground.
Am I right ? (I just want to ensure that I really understand this concept.. Hehe)

Yes. If the ball is in the air, the only force that can act on it is gravity.

Later on, when you learn about general relativity :) you'll be glad you invested the energy to understand this.

Likes terryds

Related to What is the acceleration of a thrown ball relative to the ground?

1. What is relative acceleration?

Relative acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of one object with respect to another object changes. It describes the acceleration that an observer would perceive when observing the motion of one object from the reference frame of another object.

2. How is relative acceleration different from absolute acceleration?

Absolute acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object with respect to an external, fixed reference frame. Relative acceleration, on the other hand, takes into account the motion of two objects with respect to each other. In other words, it is the acceleration measured from a moving reference frame.

3. What factors affect relative acceleration?

Relative acceleration is affected by the distance between the two objects, their masses, and the forces acting on them. For example, if the distance between the objects decreases, the relative acceleration will increase due to the stronger gravitational force between them.

4. How is relative acceleration calculated?

Relative acceleration can be calculated using the formula a_rel = a_1 - a_2, where a_rel is the relative acceleration, a_1 is the acceleration of the first object, and a_2 is the acceleration of the second object. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula a_rel = (v_1 - v_2) / t, where v_1 and v_2 are the velocities of the two objects and t is the time interval.

5. What are some real-life examples of relative acceleration?

An example of relative acceleration is the motion of a car passing by a stationary pedestrian. To the pedestrian, the car appears to accelerate as it approaches and decelerate as it moves away. Another example is the motion of planets in our solar system, which experience relative acceleration due to the gravitational pull of other planets.