What Is the Acceleration of a Car Coasting Up a 10 Degree Incline?

In summary, a woman is driving up an inclined road at a 10 degree angle with no friction. The two forces acting on the car are gravity, pointing towards the center of the Earth, and a normal force, pointing perpendicularly to the road. The car is accelerating up the incline, and the net force in that direction is determined by the components of the two forces using Newton's second law.
romanphysics
1) A woman is driving up an inclined section of road at an angle of 10 degrees. If she is coasting up the incline, meaning that friction is zero since her tires are rolling and not sliding, determine the acceleration of her car.
Can somebody help me solve this?

THANKS.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the forces on the car, and at what angles do they act? Please post your attempts.

So there is a car going up a 10 degree road. There is no friction. There is force of gravity pointing towards the center of the Earth, and force normal pointing perpendicularly to the road. So there are only 2 forces. I have no clue hot to approach this. Thanks.

In which direction is the car accelerating? What is the net force in that directuion?

It is accelerating up the incline. And I am not sure about the second question.

You said there are two forces, gravity and the normal force. What are the components of those forces in the direction in which the car is accelerating?

Newton's second law will help you. Try it!

Related to What Is the Acceleration of a Car Coasting Up a 10 Degree Incline?

What is honors physics?

Honors physics is a high school level course that covers topics in classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics.

What are some common topics covered in honors physics?

Some common topics covered in honors physics include kinematics, forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, waves, optics, and atomic and nuclear physics.

Why do students often need help with honors physics?

Honors physics can be a challenging course for students because it covers complex concepts and requires a strong foundation in math. Additionally, the pace of the course is often faster than regular physics courses.

Where can I find resources to help me with honors physics?

There are many online resources available to help students with honors physics, such as educational websites, tutorial videos, and practice problems. Your teacher or school may also have additional resources available.

What can I do to improve my understanding of honors physics?

Some tips for improving your understanding of honors physics include staying organized, actively participating in class, seeking help from your teacher or peers, and practicing problems regularly.