Kinetic Friction and Incline for a Car

In summary, the problem involves finding the forces acting on a car on an incline, with the goal of determining the acceleration of the car up the incline. The equations used include the friction equation, the incline angle equation, and the summation of forces in the x and y directions. The main point of confusion is the direction of the friction force, which may actually be the force driving the car forward.
bartersnarter

Homework Statement

jkMNHCG.png

Homework Equations

friction:[/B] f = μN
incline angle: θ = arctan(1/10)
summation of forces in y: N - mgcosθ = 0
summation of forces in x: -f - mgsinθ = ma (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I set the x-axis going up the incline and the y-axis normal to said x-axis. When I drew the FBD, the part that did not make sense to me was the summation of forces in the x-axis. The question wants the car to accelerate UP the incline, but the two forces I draw for the FBD both point down the incline. One of the forces is the x-component of the weight, mgsinθ, and the other is the friction. I know the weight's x-component direction is right, so the wildcard is the friction. Isn't friction opposite to the direction of motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just had a thought... is friction the force which drives the car forward? The wheels spin in the negative x-direction (with respect to the ground) so the friction points to the positive x-direction. If that were the case it would make a lot of sense!

Related to Kinetic Friction and Incline for a Car

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with a surface.

How does kinetic friction affect a car on an incline?

Kinetic friction on an incline is greater than on a flat surface because the weight of the car is distributed along the incline, increasing the force of friction.

What factors influence the amount of kinetic friction for a car on an incline?

The weight of the car, the angle of the incline, and the surface material all affect the amount of kinetic friction experienced by a car on an incline.

How can kinetic friction be reduced for a car on an incline?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using smoother tires, adding weight to the car, or using a surface with less resistance, such as a smoother road or a layer of lubricant.

What happens to kinetic friction as the angle of the incline increases?

As the angle of the incline increases, the force of kinetic friction also increases. This is because the weight of the car is distributed more along the incline, increasing the normal force between the car and the surface, and subsequently increasing the force of friction.