What is some basic college lvl math to start on?

• Thread starter thewhills
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's interest in math, their self-taught knowledge of calculus, and their struggles with visual geometry. They also mention their plans to major in Physics and ask for book recommendations for further math studies. One book, "Calculus" by Tom Apostol, is suggested and can be found for a cheaper price on websites like alibris or abebooks. The student also asks if the book includes theory, to which it is confirmed that it does. The conversation ends with the student considering purchasing the book for $30.
thewhills
What is some "basic" college lvl math to start on?

I am a junior in high school and I...kinda taught myself enough calculus that I got a 5 on the AP Calc exam.Oddly enough I still get a B in Geometry because I had a 30 HW average and would skip part of tests...LOL

So what is the next step especially if I choose to be a Physics major?...maybe CompSci.

I oddly really enjoy proof because it is basically a game against yourself...In fact I was recruited to my schools math team just to do proof..
I dislike visual geometry, Like we had a project to draw a tent...I could barely do it because I can't think visually...It sucks too.

What is the next step?
Which books too...hopefully not a $200 textbook either since I(not my family) am poor and my parents would laugh at me if I asked them to buy me a math book if I don't need it

Mathematics news on Phys.org

"Calculus" by Tom Apostol.

I think it's a couple hundred new, but you can get it much, much cheaper on alibris or abebooks.

One-Variable Calculus with an Introduction to Linear Algebra..right?

Does that include theory?

Yes. Every theorem is proved and many of the exercises begin with the words "prove that..." or "show that..."

I found it for $30 shipped on abebooks..great deal?

Never mind...That is if I order 20+ I think

I have no idea if it's a great deal. If you have $30 and you are willing to spend it on an excellent calculus book, then it's a great deal. If not, it isn't.

Related to What is some basic college lvl math to start on?

1. What is the difference between algebra and calculus?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with manipulating symbols and solving equations to find unknown quantities. It is considered the foundation for higher level math concepts. Calculus, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, particularly in the form of derivatives and integrals. It is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the basic operations in math?

The basic operations in math are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition is combining two or more numbers to get a total. Subtraction is finding the difference between two numbers. Multiplication is repeated addition and division is the inverse of multiplication.

3. How do you solve systems of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables. To solve a system of equations, you need to find the value of each variable that makes all of the equations true. This can be done through substitution, elimination, or graphing methods.

4. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a fundamental theorem in geometry that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It can be written as a² + b² = c², where a and b are the lengths of the legs and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

5. How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line is a measure of its steepness and direction. It is found by calculating the change in the y-values divided by the change in the x-values between two points on the line. It can also be calculated using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.