What is Rise in laymans terms?

• Thread starter avito009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rise Terms
In summary, rise refers to an increase in something, such as a price, level, or quantity. It can also refer to a movement upwards, both physically and figuratively. In terms of economy, a rise is often associated with inflation, while in physics it can refer to the movement of an object in an upwards direction. In general, rise can be understood as a positive change or growth in a particular aspect.
avito009
As per me rise is the vertical length of the structure. Am I right? I read in Gordon's book "Structures or why things don't fall down" that the rise should be half the span of the bridge. Why? What does span mean?. As per me span means the area between one end where there is a column and the column at other end.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think of , Slope of a Line where the Horizontal access is run (span in your bridge),Vertical axis is Rise, and slope is the Delta of change in height over the length of the run.

As a primer for various bridge types, http://www.explainthatstuff.com/bridges.html

As you asked for layman's terms, perhaps discussing fulcrum points as they relate to weight distribution, would be a little premature. :-)

Likes Vedward

Related to What is Rise in laymans terms?

What is Rise in laymans terms?

Rise in laymans terms refers to the vertical distance that an object or a point moves upwards from its starting point.

How is rise different from height?

While both rise and height refer to vertical distance, rise specifically refers to the change in elevation from a starting point to an end point, while height can refer to the total vertical distance of an object or point.

What are some examples of rise?

Examples of rise include the distance a basketball travels when someone shoots it into a hoop, the vertical distance a person climbs when hiking up a mountain, or the change in elevation of a roller coaster as it goes up and down hills.

How is rise calculated?

Rise is calculated by taking the difference between the final elevation and the starting elevation. This can be measured in units such as feet or meters.

Why is understanding rise important?

Understanding rise is important in many fields, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It helps us understand changes in elevation and how they affect the movement and stability of objects and structures.