What is present during the following times of the Dumas procedure

• Thread starter Zoey Brown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Procedure
In summary: Selwyn DewdneyIn summary, during the Dumas procedure performed with methanol, the flask contains methanol (l) and air (g) after the methanol is added and the flask is covered with foil. Just before the flask is removed from the hot water bath, the flask contains methanol (g) as all the air is expelled and replaced with the vapor of the substance. When the flask is weighed after cooling, the flask contains methanol (g) and water (l) as the methanol has evaporated and condensed back into liquid form, while any remaining water is in liquid form.
Zoey Brown
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
From the list below, identiyfy what is present in the flask at each of the following times during the Dumas procedure performed with methanol:
Methanol (g)
Methanol (l)
Methanol (aq)
Air (g)
Water (l)
Water (g)

a) After the methanol is added and the flask is covered with foil?
b) Just before the flask is removed from the hot water bath?
c) When the flask is weighted after cooling?

My solution:
a) i think this would be methanol (l) and air (g) bc there is no evidence that methanol is in aq form
b) i think this would be methanol (g) bc all the air is expelled and the methanol is vapourized
c) this one i have no clue and don't even know how to reason out!

Physics news on Phys.org
a and b seem to me OK.

Dumas, Dumas, it rang a bell. I'm sure we did something, calculations, maybe experiments and calculations at school, so I now look up what it was, there is some practically washed out memories somewhere there.*

Anyway the Wiki description says "The vessel is then heated in a boiling water bath; all the air within the flask would be expelled, replaced by the vapor of the unknown substance" and then the flask is a sealed. So that appears to me quite a clue - does that suggest to you how to reason out, and if you have any doubts what are they? You are unfortunately not doing the experiment, but imagine you are doing it, and thinking of what purpose you’re doing it for.

*" culture is what remains when you have forgotten everything you ever learned"

Last edited:

Related to What is present during the following times of the Dumas procedure

What is present during the preheating step of the Dumas procedure?

During the preheating step of the Dumas procedure, the sample, usually an organic compound, is placed in a combustion tube along with a copper oxide and copper filings mixture. Oxygen gas is also present in the tube to facilitate the combustion reaction.

What is present during the combustion step of the Dumas procedure?

During the combustion step of the Dumas procedure, the sample undergoes a combustion reaction in the presence of oxygen gas and the copper oxide and copper filings mixture. This reaction produces carbon dioxide, water vapor, and nitrogen gas.

What is present during the cooling step of the Dumas procedure?

During the cooling step of the Dumas procedure, the combustion tube is allowed to cool down to room temperature. The gaseous products from the combustion reaction condense into liquid form and the remaining solid particles settle at the bottom of the tube.

What is present during the purging step of the Dumas procedure?

During the purging step of the Dumas procedure, the combustion tube is flushed with an inert gas, such as helium or nitrogen, to remove any remaining gases from the combustion reaction. This ensures that only the gaseous products from the sample are collected for analysis.

What is present during the analysis step of the Dumas procedure?

During the analysis step of the Dumas procedure, the gaseous products, including carbon dioxide, water vapor, and nitrogen gas, are collected and measured using a gas chromatography instrument. This allows for the calculation of the sample's molecular weight and elemental composition.