What is power series solution of y''-xy

In summary: So it's right. Now you do it for your problem.i know the denominator of the terms i called Ueven goes like this(3*2), (3*2)(6*5), (3*2)(6*5)(9*8), (3*2)(6*5)(9*8)(12*11)...do i have to use the product function i.e that pi symbol thing?Yes, you have
cloud360

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5241/recurrenceq.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempted solution:

1) i got a recurrence relation (n+2)(n+1)a_(n+2)=a_(n-1)
2) i also used the matching coefficients method to get a2=0, a5=0, a7=0, but can't find ones in between
3) I tried finding Ueven and Uodd, so i could join them together as a general solution u=Aueven + Auodd
3.1) For Ueven: let a1=0, a0=1 (i assumed this, i don't know if i was right to do that), then got
a0=1
a1=0
a2=0 (from matching coefficients)
a3=a0/6 -->a3=1/6 (from n=1)
a4=a1/12-->a4=0 (from n=2)
a5=a2/20-->a5=0 (from n=3)
a6=a3/30-->a6=1/180 (from n=4)
a7=a4/42-->a7=0 (from n=5)
a8=a5/56-->a8=0 (from n=6)
a9=a6/72-->a9=1/12960 (from n=7)
I don’t know nth term

3.2) Uodd: let a1=0, a0=1
a0=0
a1=1
a2=0 (from matching coefficients)
a3=a0/6 -->a3=0 (from n=1)
a4=a1/12-->a4=1/12 (from n=2)
a5=a2/20-->a5=0 (from n=3)
a6=a3/30-->a6=1/180 (from n=4)
a7=a4/42-->a7=1/504 (from n=5)
I don’t know nth termGeneral solution is AUeven+BUodd?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good, but I wouldn't call the two solutions Ueven and Uodd, because they aren't even or odd. Your recurrence gives the each coefficient in terms of the coefficient 3 preceding it. So the powers on x for each solution will increase by 3 each term, giving both even and odd terms in each.

What you might do is, instead of letting a0 and a1 be alternatively 1 and 0 is just leave them in the solution, expressing all the other coefficients in terms of them. Then you can factor out the a0 from the terms containing it and a1 from the terms containing it, and the remaining factors will be the two independent series you want.

LCKurtz said:
Your solution looks good, but I wouldn't call the two solutions Ueven and Uodd, because they aren't even or odd. Your recurrence gives the each coefficient in terms of the coefficient 3 preceding it. So the powers on x for each solution will increase by 3 each term, giving both even and odd terms in each.

What you might do is, instead of letting a0 and a1 be alternatively 1 and 0 is just leave them in the solution, expressing all the other coefficients in terms of them. Then you can factor out the a0 from the terms containing it and a1 from the terms containing it, and the remaining factors will be the two independent series you want.

thanks for the reply. but can you tell me how i could find the nth term. i have collected the terms (of the the series i incorrectly called Ueven and Uodd)

Ueven= 1,0,0,1/6 ,0 ,0 ,1/180 ,0 ,0 ,1/12960

Uodd= 0,1,0 ,0 ,1/12 ,0 ,1/180 ,1/504
[PLAIN]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9696/sequence.gif

and to me, a6 and a7 on Uodd don't look right, what is your opinion, given the recurrence relation

(n+2)(n+1)an+2=an-1

Correction: a6=0, so series is actually !

Uodd= 0,1,0 ,0 ,1/12 ,0 ,0 ,1/504

cloud360 said:
thanks for the reply. but can you tell me how i could find the nth term. i have collected the terms (of the the series i incorrectly called Ueven and Uodd)

Uodd= 0,1,0 ,0 ,1/12 ,0 ,1/180 ,1/504
[PLAIN]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9696/sequence.gif

and to me, a6 and a7 on Uodd don't look right, what is your opinion, given the recurrence relation

(n+2)(n+1)an+2=an-1

The secret to finding the pattern for the coefficients, assuming there is a recognizable one is to not multiply the numbers out. For example in this series you have:

a4 = a1/(4*3)

a7 = a4/(7*6) = a1/((7*6)(4*3))

You can probably see what a10, a13,... are going to be. You may have to write the general term using the ellipsis ...and ending with the last factor.

LCKurtz said:
The secret to finding the pattern for the coefficients, assuming there is a recognizable one is to not multiply the numbers out. For example in this series you have:

a4 = a1/(4*3)

a7 = a4/(7*6) = a1/((7*6)(4*3))

You can probably see what a10, a13,... are going to be. You may have to write the general term using the ellipsis ...and ending with the last factor.

what do you mean by elipses? can you please elaborate a little ?

cloud360 said:
what do you mean by elipses? can you please elaborate a little ?

An ellipsis is the three dots: ... meaning continue the pattern.

You might write the denominator for the "nth" term

(3*4)(6*7)...( )( )

where the last two parentheses contain the formula for the "nth" term, which you have to figure out. Something like (n)(n+1) -- not those -- but whatever the last factors would be in your problem.

LCKurtz said:
An ellipsis is the three dots: ... meaning continue the pattern.

You might write the denominator for the "nth" term

(3*4)(6*7)...( )( )

where the last two parentheses contain the formula for the "nth" term, which you have to figure out. Something like (n)(n+1) -- not those -- but whatever the last factors would be in your problem.

this is already in the recurrence relation as (n+2)(n+1)

but i don't know how to convert an-1i.e the full recurrence relation is an-1/(n+2)(n+1)

i already got the denominator of the nth term right, its (n+2)(n+1)? but i don't know what the numerator is, please kindly help !i know the denominator of the terms i called Ueven goes like this

(3*2), (3*2)(6*5), (3*2)(6*5)(9*8), (3*2)(6*5)(9*8)(12*11)...

do i have to use the product function i.e that pi symbol thing?

Last edited:
I'm not going to do it for you, but I will give you an example. Suppose you were given this sequence of coefficients, which I have made similar to your problem:

a2 = (1*3)
a4 = (1*3)(5*7)
a6 = (1*3)*(5*7)*(9*11)

and so on, and you need to write the general term with even subscript. First you would have to write the subscript itself which you would write as a2n.

Then you have to figure out what its formula is. You would write it like this:

a2n=(1*3)*(5*7)*(9*11)...(?*?)

The ... means similar factors up to the end. The problem is what are the last factors for a2n. Look at the pattern for the last factor. You might notice that the last factor in this example is always twice the subscript on the a less 1. The subscript of our last term is 2n, so twice that minus 1 is 4n-1. And the factor preceding it is two less which is 4n-3. So you would write

a2n=(1*3)*(5*7)*(9*11)...(4n-3)*(4n-1)

Now check it with, for example, n = 3. You get a6 and the factors go from 1*3 up to (12-3)*(12-1), so it works. That is what you need to do with your problem to get the general term.

here is my solution, but i am not confident that this is the right answer to what the question asking

[PLAIN]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2788/s0ll.gif

Very nice. I think you have it unless I have overlooked something minor. And you have done more than the original question asked by figuring out the general term. If you now pick a0 and a1 alternately 0 and 1 you will have the two linearly independent solutions required.

Related to What is power series solution of y''-xy

What is the definition of a power series solution?

A power series solution is a type of mathematical solution used to solve differential equations, where the solution is expressed as a series of terms involving powers of the independent variable.

How is a power series solution calculated?

To calculate a power series solution, we begin by assuming that the solution can be expressed as a power series. Then, we substitute this series into the original differential equation and solve for the coefficients of each term in the series.

What is the purpose of using a power series solution?

The purpose of using a power series solution is to find a solution to a differential equation that cannot be solved using traditional methods. Power series solutions allow for more flexibility and can provide solutions for a wider range of problems.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a power series solution?

Advantages of using a power series solution include its ability to provide solutions for a wider range of problems, as well as its flexibility in handling complex equations. However, a disadvantage is that it may be difficult to determine the convergence of the series, which is necessary for the solution to be valid.

Can a power series solution always be used to solve a differential equation?

No, a power series solution can only be used for certain types of differential equations. It may not be applicable for equations with singular points or for equations that do not have a unique solution.