What is physics engineering about?

In summary, Physics engineering is a degree program that combines elements of both physics and engineering. The specific courses and job prospects may vary depending on the country and university, but it typically involves a mix of engineering and physics courses and can lead to careers in various industries such as experimental physics or electrical engineering. It is important to research and contact the universities directly for more information on their specific programs and requirements.
Grands
Hi.
I've got a simple question, what is Physics engineering about?
In my country there are only two university that has this course degree, but I can't understand what is their purpose?
What kind of job physics engineers do?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I watched those websites, but it is described only what students will study and not for which job they are prepared for.

Grands said:
I watched those websites, but it is described only what students will study and not for which job they are prepared for.
Email or call them. They have advisors.

I imagine that none of us on PF can definitively answer your question, but I'll give it a guess. In my own case, my bachelor's degree was called Engineering Science, which suggests something similar to Engineering Physics of Physics Engineering.

I would presume that this will be an engineering degree with more science and perhaps a bit less practical engineering emphasis than usual. In my own case, I had a block of 27 credits in which to work out a "major," and I could have spent them all in mechanics and mathematics (as I did), or in EE, or Aero, or Nuclear, or ChemE or whatever else seemed to make a coherent program of study. I would hope that you would have some similar option.

Likes Grands
It's a mix of more engineering courses?

In my case, I was free to choose anything I thought fit (with my advisor's approval) and I chose from ME, EM, Physics, and Math.

Likes Grands
Greg Bernhardt said:
https://www.polimi.it/en/students/contacts/
I did, they told me that the chat is only for bureaucracy staff.

Dr.D said:
In my case, I was free to choose anything I thought fit (with my advisor's approval) and I chose from ME, EM, Physics, and Math.
So you choose Physical engineering and after you asked if you can do others courses from other undergraduate program ?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Email or call them. They have advisors.
Grands said:
Dr.D said:
Grands said:
I did, they told me that the chat is only for bureaucracy staff.So you choose Physical engineering and after you asked if you can do others courses from other undergraduate program ?
Read about the particular programs which may interest you from the university catalogs which have the programs of interest. Choose Computer Science or Engineering, earn your degree, and get a job!

Grands said:

You need to contact the universities in question to find out. There is no single "definition" of engineering physics; the type of courses you take and the "goal" (what type of job they prepare you for) varies between countries and even between universities in the same country.

My undergraduate degree is in Engineering physics (MSc). The program I attended (in Sweden) was basically a physics program with lots of math and a bunch of engineering courses (mostly electrical engineering, VERY useful if you as me end up doing experimental physics) and took 4.5 years to complete. The 4th year was entirely made up of elective courses. I took the "physics" route (graduate level QM, statistical physics etc ) and then went on to get a PhD in physics; but I had friends who specialized i e.g. microwave engineering and went to industry.
Many (perhaps the majority) of the people who get a PhD in physics in Sweden has an undergraduate degree in engineering physics; and that includes theorists (Max Tegmark is a good example).
However, there are also universities in Sweden where the Engineering Physics program is essentially electrical engineering with added physics courses (e.g. "extra" semiconductor physics) and more math.

The system in Italy might (obviously) be very different. You need to check.

Likes dlgoff and Grands
f95toli said:
Max Tegmark
I've checked the wikipedia page of that guy and he seem a very inspiriting person, Elon Musk gave him money to investigate the risk of AI, so cool.
Thanks for you answers, it is really helpful.

Although this, I in his wikipedia page there is no reference to physics engineering, the page says that he studied economy if I'm not wrong, and that he studied at KTM, which is great.

f95toli said:
The system in Italy might (obviously) be very different. You need to check.
In Italy it's a mix of more engineering courses, but you can't chose which you want to study, you have to accept the course they give you,

Related to What is physics engineering about?

1. What is the difference between physics engineering and other engineering fields?

Physics engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the application of physics principles to the design, development, and operation of various systems and technologies. The main difference between physics engineering and other engineering fields is that it primarily deals with the fundamental laws and theories of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, to solve real-world problems.

2. What are the key skills and qualities required to become a successful physics engineer?

To excel in the field of physics engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. Additionally, having a passion for learning and staying updated with the latest advancements in technology is also crucial.

3. What are some examples of real-world applications of physics engineering?

Physics engineering has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, defense, energy, and electronics. Some common examples include designing and optimizing aircraft structures, developing renewable energy sources, creating advanced medical imaging technologies, and improving the efficiency of electronic devices.

4. Is a degree in physics required to become a physics engineer?

While having a strong background in physics is necessary for a career in physics engineering, it is not always a requirement. Many universities offer specific programs in physics engineering that combine coursework in physics, mathematics, and engineering principles. However, some individuals may also enter this field with a degree in a related discipline, such as mechanical or electrical engineering.

5. What are the future prospects for physics engineers?

The demand for physics engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as the advancements in technology and the need for sustainable solutions continue to increase. Physics engineers can find employment in a variety of industries, and their skills are highly valued in the job market, making it a promising career choice for those interested in the field of physics and engineering.