What is my guess for a polynomial solution with a negative highest power?

In summary, when guessing a solution to a polynomial with the highest power of n, the guess is normally Ax^n + Bx^n-1, but if n is negative, this method will not work.
Kyle Parrott
Hi there, I know that when I am to guess a solution to to a polynomial for g(t) that I guess Ax^n + Bx^n-1... when the highest power of the polynomial is n but what is my guess supposed to be if the power of n is negative?

ex.
y'' + 4y' + 4y = t^-2*e^(-2t)

so far my guess is,

A*e^(-2t)(B*?...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyle Parrott said:
Hi there, I know that when I am to guess a solution to to a polynomial for g(t) that I guess Ax^n + Bx^n-1... when the highest power of the polynomial is n but what is my guess supposed to be if the power of n is negative?

ex.
y'' + 4y' + 4y = t^-2*e^(-2t)

so far my guess is,

A*e^(-2t)(B*?...)

To add to SteamKing's link, you don't even try undetermined coefficients if n is negative, because it won't work.

Related to What is my guess for a polynomial solution with a negative highest power?

1. What are undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients refer to the coefficients that are unknown in a polynomial or equation. They are typically represented by letters such as a, b, c, etc. and are used to solve for the unknown values.

2. How are undetermined coefficients used in science?

In science, undetermined coefficients are commonly used to solve differential equations, which are equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are also used in regression analysis to find the best fitting line or curve for a set of data.

3. What is the process for solving equations using undetermined coefficients?

The process for solving equations using undetermined coefficients involves first identifying the unknown coefficients in the equation. Then, a set of equations is formed by plugging in different values for the unknown coefficients. Finally, the equations are solved simultaneously to find the values of the unknown coefficients.

4. How do undetermined coefficients differ from determined coefficients?

Determined coefficients are known values that are already specified in an equation, while undetermined coefficients are unknown values that need to be solved for. Determined coefficients are typically represented by numbers, while undetermined coefficients are represented by letters.

5. Are there any limitations to using undetermined coefficients?

While undetermined coefficients can be effective in solving equations and finding unknown values, they may not always provide accurate results. In some cases, the equations may have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, making it difficult to determine the correct values for the unknown coefficients.