What is my apparent weight in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of apparent weight in water and how it is affected by body composition and depth of the water. The person asking the question is curious about this topic due to an injury and their physical therapy exercises involving tiptoeing in a pool. Archimedes' Principle is mentioned as a potential method for calculating apparent weight, but it is noted that it would be easier to measure it. The conversation also touches on the relevance of knowing this number to the rehabilitation process. Finally, a study is referenced that provides average weight measurements for different scenarios in water, which the person asking the question finds helpful.
brajesh
TL;DR Summary
If I tiptoe in a pool of water, how much weight are my calf muscles lifting?
Hi,

I was wondering, what is my apparent weight in water?
For example, when I tiptoe on land, my calf muscles are pretty much lifting all my body weight.
But if I were to tiptoe with just my head out of the water, how much weight would my calves be lifting?
And as I move to shallower water, how can I compute what is the additional loss of buoyancy, or additional weight my calves need to support?

The reason I'm asking this question is that I've injured one of my calf muscle.
Part of my rehab exercises involve tiptoeing in the pool to exercise the calf muscle.
So I was curious about this question as I get better :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Archimedes' Principle?

Likes Lord Jestocost
brajesh said:
And as I move to shallower water, how can I compute what is the additional loss of buoyancy, or additional weight my calves need to support?
What is your approximate percent body fat?

berkeman said:
What is your approximate percent body fat?
I don't know, my BMI is 28 if that helps?

Archimedes' Principle is worth looking at. High school physics level.

Humans are very close to neutral buoyancy until you include the fact that we contain gas in our lungs, intestines, etc. So the weight reduction you get when you're just ankles deep is very small, both because it's a very small part of your body and a relatively neutral buoyant part. The amount you get when thigh deep will depend on how much fat you have on your upper legs as fat is less dense than muscle and bone and blood. Once you get your torso in, that's when the effect is larger.

So it's hard to calculate. You'd need to know the volume of your limbs as well as their densities. It would be easier to measure it.

Likes brajesh
russ_watters said:
Do you know Archimedes' Principle?
I heard of the eureka moment he had in the bath tub which was something like "The upward buoyant force is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by the body."

brajesh said:
I heard of the eureka moment he had in the bath tub which was something like "The upward buoyant force is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by the body."
Does this help you answer your question?

Likes brajesh
JT Smith said:
It would be easier to measure it.
Personally, I have positive buoyancy with lungs full of air and negative buoyancy with them empty.

Likes hutchphd, brajesh, russ_watters and 1 other person
brajesh said:
Summary:: If I tiptoe in a pool of water, how much weight are my calf muscles lifting?

The reason I'm asking this question is that I've injured one of my calf muscle.
I hope your calf muscle is rehabilitated quickly. As you can see from the replies so far, calculating your apparent weight when you tiptoe in a water pool is a number that depends on determining two other numbers other than your normal weight: the level of the water around your body and the average density of the part of your body that is under water. As @JT Smith noted, it would be easier to measure your apparent weight.

I am curious about why you want to have a number for your apparent weight and how you think this number is relevant to the rehabilitation regime. Presumably you are doing this under the supervision of a physical therapist who has a plan to you. The usual advice from physical therapists is "push yourself to the limit of being uncomfortable but not in pain because that is where the benefit lies; if you feel pain, stop immediately." That's the advice I got when I rehabilitated my injured shoulder and I'm guessing that the advice to you was similar. In my case, I followed the advice and stretched rubber bands, some stiffer than others, that they gave me without needing to know a number for their effective spring constant assuming that they obeyed Hooke's law.

Likes russ_watters and brajesh
I found a study where someone was trying to determine if underwater weighing with one's head above the water could be used in place of full immersion when determining body fat percentage. Here are the averages for the male subjects in the experiment. It might be useful:

81.5 kg - weight in air
3.5 kg - weight fully immersed in water, air expelled from lungs
-0.8 kg - weight fully immersed, lungs full
6.8 kg - weight with head above water, air expelled
2.7 kg - weight with head above water, lungs full

Likes brajesh
Wow yes, this really helps! The numbers make it easy to visualize and I'm about that weight. Thank you @JT Smith.

kuruman said:
I hope your calf muscle is rehabilitated quickly. As you can see from the replies so far, calculating your apparent weight when you tiptoe in a water pool is a number that depends on determining two other numbers other than your normal weight: the level of the water around your body and the average density of the part of your body that is under water. As @JT Smith noted, it would be easier to measure your apparent weight.

I am curious about why you want to have a number for your apparent weight and how you think this number is relevant to the rehabilitation regime. Presumably you are doing this under the supervision of a physical therapist who has a plan to you. The usual advice from physical therapists is "push yourself to the limit of being uncomfortable but not in pain because that is where the benefit lies; if you feel pain, stop immediately." That's the advice I got when I rehabilitated my injured shoulder and I'm guessing that the advice to you was similar. In my case, I followed the advice and stretched rubber bands, some stiffer than others, that they gave me without needing to know a number for their effective spring constant assuming that they obeyed Hooke's law.
I got curious while I was doing it. Your and others answers on this post have helped me understand buoyancy better.

JT Smith said:
So the weight reduction you get when you're just ankles deep is very small, both because it's a very small part of your body and a relatively neutral buoyant part. The amount you get when thigh deep will depend on how much fat you have on your upper legs as fat is less dense than muscle and bone and blood.
This is not really correct. The buoyancy depends only upon the volume below waterline which displaces water.
For instance, if all your weight was in your feet, you would not suddenly float when your ankles became submerged. The buoyancy supplied will be the same regardless. All that matters is your total weight.

Likes brajesh
hutchphd said:
This is not really correct. The buoyancy depends only upon the volume below waterline which displaces water.

Yes, you're right.

Likes hutchphd

Related to What is my apparent weight in water?

1. What is the difference between my actual weight and my apparent weight in water?

Apparent weight in water refers to the weight that is experienced by an object when it is submerged in water. This weight is different from the object's actual weight, which is the force of gravity acting on the object. In water, the upward buoyant force counteracts the downward force of gravity, resulting in a different apparent weight.

2. How is my apparent weight in water measured?

Your apparent weight in water can be measured using a scale or by calculating the difference between your actual weight and your weight while submerged in water. The scale will show a lower weight when you are in water due to the buoyant force, while the calculation will show a higher weight due to the addition of the buoyant force.

3. What factors affect my apparent weight in water?

Several factors can affect your apparent weight in water, including the density of the water, the density of your body, and the volume of water displaced by your body. The deeper you are submerged, the greater the pressure and the higher your apparent weight will be. The salt content of the water can also affect your apparent weight, as saltwater is denser than freshwater.

4. Why is my apparent weight in water different from my weight on land?

As mentioned before, your apparent weight in water is affected by the buoyant force, which is not present on land. On land, the only force acting on your body is the force of gravity, resulting in your actual weight. In water, the buoyant force counteracts the force of gravity, leading to a different apparent weight.

5. How does my apparent weight in water affect my ability to float?

Your apparent weight in water is directly related to your ability to float. If your apparent weight is greater than the buoyant force, you will sink, and if your apparent weight is less than the buoyant force, you will float. This is why objects that are less dense than water, such as boats, float, while objects that are more dense, such as rocks, sink.