About buoyancy and 2 equations

In summary, the apparent weight of an object in water is equal to its actual weight minus the buoyant force acting on it. However, if the object is floating or submerged, its weight is completely supported by the buoyant force, and the buoyant force is equal to the object's apparent weight. These equations may contradict each other, but this is because the apparent weight is only relevant to external observers and does not accurately reflect the forces acting on the water itself. In the case of a submerged object, the apparent weight is zero because the buoyant and actual weights are balanced, but the water still experiences the actual weight of the object.
Metalbob
1) My teacher says that the apparent weight of an object in water (floating,sunken,submerged etc) is equal to it's actual weight-buoyant force acting on it.

That is, wt (ap)=wt (ac)- F(b)

Where wt (ap) = apparent weight,
weight (ac)= actual weight.
And f (b) = buoyant force

2) But..., if an object is floating or is submerged under water, it's weight is completely supported by the buoyant force acting on it. So shouldn't the buoyant force be equal to the apparent weight of the floating object.?
i.e., f (b)=wt (ap)

The equations in 1) and 2) contradict each other.

Please tell me where I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Metalbob said:
2) But..., if an object is floating or is submerged under water, it's weight is completely supported by the buoyant force acting on it.
What about a stone submerged under water? Is it fully supported by buoyancy?

Metalbob said:
But..., if an object is floating or is submerged under water, it's weight is completely supported by the buoyant force acting on it. So shouldn't the buoyant force be equal to the apparent weight of the floating object.?
i.e., f (b)=wt (ap)
The equations in 1) and 2) contradict each other.
Please tell me where I am wrong.

A submerged object (resting on the bottom) is not completely supported by the buoyancy force , some support comes from the sea bottom , and this support from the sea bottom is the 'apparent weight' ...
If floating there is no apparent weight ...

An object submerged in water will sink to the bottom if its actual weight is more than the buoyant force.

If it floats below the surface but doesn't sink, then the weight and buoyant forces exactly balance.

If the weight is less than the buoyant force, it floats to the surface and only part of the object will be submerged, like a boat.

Just to complete the answers with specific reference to where you went wrong:

Metalbob said:
if an object is floating ..., it's weight is completely supported by the buoyant force acting on it.

Right.

Metalbob said:
So shouldn't the buoyant force be equal to the apparent weight of the floating object.?
i.e., f (b)=wt (ap)

No, in this case the buoyant force is equal to the actual weight. That is why the object is in equilibrium and its apparent weight is zero. But apparent.. for whom? For you, for example: you don't need to make any effort to avoid that the object sinks and if you put a balance scale under the object it will read zero, just as if it were supported by a rope from a hook. But for the water itself, things are different: the water has suffered the actual weight (well, to be accurate, the water has suffered contact force equal to the object's actual weight and has reacted by applying another contact force of the same magnitude, i.e. the buoyant force).

mfb said:
What about a stone submerged under water? Is it fully supported by buoyancy?

I knew there was something off about the submerged part.

Restating a comment from above, if an object is completely submerged and is not moving vertically up or down then it is in equilibrium, the buoyant force equals the actual weight. The apparent weight is zero.

Related to About buoyancy and 2 equations

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyancy calculated?

Buoyancy is calculated using the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is the basis for understanding buoyancy.

4. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object affects its buoyancy because the buoyant force is directly proportional to the density of the fluid. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float. If it is more dense, it will sink.

5. What is the difference between weight and buoyant force?

Weight is the force exerted by gravity on an object, while buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object. Weight is constant, while buoyant force depends on the density of the fluid and the volume of the object submerged.