What is meant by expanding space

In summary, Cosmologists believe that the galaxy is expanding, but this expansion only applies to the distance between objects and not the objects themselves. The distance between two points is increasing, but the stick itself would not stretch. Instead, the galaxies would appear to run away from the stick due to the expansion of space. This expansion would not affect smaller objects like the solar system or galaxies, as their own gravity keeps them together.
Gonzolo
Hi,

Cosmologists, starting perhaps with Hubble, say that our galaxy is expanding like a sponge, or a raisin bread. Now if I take only two raisins of this bread which are on its x-axis, am I to understand that :

1. the distance d = x2 - x1 is getting greater,

or

2. the x-axis itself is stretching, such that d = x2 - x1 remains constant

In other words, if I had a very long rigid stick from here to a red-shifted galaxy, would the galaxy then run away from the stick, or would the stick be stretching?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The stick isn't expanding. The solar system isn't expanding. Our galaxy isn't expanding. Even our galaxy cluster isn't expanding. You need to consider the universe on the scale at which it appears (roughly) homogenous. So in your raisin analogy, just consider the raisins as galaxy clusters. The dough (space) between them expands.

I agree with what cragwolf says. I also want to answer your questions explictly:
Gonzolo said:
s, am I to understand that :

1. the distance d = x2 - x1 is getting greater,

Yes, proposition #1 is right. Cosmologists use a distance function called the FRW metric to define the distance between two points. the formula has a time-dependent term a(t) which keeps increasing and making the distance between two points keep increasing.

Gonzolo said:
In other words, if I had a very long rigid stick from here to a red-shifted galaxy, would the galaxy then run away from the stick, or would the stick be stretching?

such a long stick might be a physical impossibility and I do not see how such a very long stick could be rigid! but suppose.

then yes, the galaxy would run away from the stick, as long as the stick remained whole

if he was very long the stick might experience some slight tension. if he was too long he might snap in two. But no reasonable-size stick would stretch---molecular bonds and metallic crystal bonds are plenty strong to resist gentle expansion.

You are postulating an extreme case.

I personally think that if a stick were as long as the Hubble radius, namely 13.8 billion lightyears, then the expansion lf space would snap it in two, no matter how strong. Or steel cable, no matter what great tensile strength.

but such a length is ridiculous, nothing real is so long
even galaxies (a few hundred thousand lightyears wide) are not stretched by space expanding
because their own gravity keeps them together.

Last edited:
Thanks. I know the stick is ridiculous, it was just a masseless rigid x-axis, so that I could eliminate the confusion that comes with "space is expanding". (If it can curve, than perhaps it could have "stretched", which I now see it does not.)

Related to What is meant by expanding space

1. What is meant by expanding space?

Expanding space refers to the phenomenon in which the distance between two points in the universe is increasing over time. This expansion is thought to be caused by the continuous stretching of the fabric of space itself.

2. How do we know that space is expanding?

Scientists have observed the expansion of space by measuring the redshift of distant galaxies. This redshift is caused by the stretching of light waves as they travel through expanding space. Additionally, the study of cosmic microwave background radiation has provided strong evidence for the expansion of space.

3. Is the expansion of space uniform?

No, the expansion of space is not uniform. In fact, it is accelerating, meaning that the rate of expansion is increasing over time. This acceleration is thought to be caused by the mysterious force known as dark energy.

4. Will the expansion of space ever stop?

This is a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some theories suggest that the expansion of space will continue indefinitely, while others propose that it may eventually slow down and even reverse. The fate of the expansion of space is closely tied to the amount of dark energy in the universe.

5. How does the expansion of space affect objects in the universe?

On a small scale, such as within a galaxy or our solar system, the expansion of space is counteracted by the gravitational pull of objects. However, on a larger scale, the expansion of space can cause galaxies to move further apart from each other. It is also thought to be responsible for the eventual fate of the universe, as the continued expansion may eventually lead to the "heat death" of the universe.