What is meaning of w in plasma permitivity,exactly?

• Thread starter ghasem007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the dielectric constant in a plasma medium and the meaning of the variable "ω." The speaker is asking for clarification on whether "ω" refers to the frequency of the incident wave or the feeding frequency in surface wave plasma. The responder clarifies that it is the frequency of the electromagnetic field and the formula is an expression of the dielectric constant as a function of frequency.
ghasem007
Hi.
I have a problem.
as you know,in a plasma medium(such as cylindrical tube),we have:

εr = 1- [ ωp^2 / ω*(ω - jv) ]

that : v = collision frequency
ωp = plasma frequency
but I don't know meaning of " ω " ,exactly.
ω is RF feed frequency of plasma or incident wave frequency to plasma?
I read several book and I know what is plasma,but " ω " parameter confused me...
is there anyone who direct me?
best wishes...

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the frequency of the electromagnetic field.
The formula is an expression of the dielectric constant as a function of frequency.

yes,I know that this is EM wave frequency.but which EM wave?
it is related to incident wave to plasma,or feeding frequency in surface wave plasma?

Related to What is meaning of w in plasma permitivity,exactly?

1. What is the value of w in plasma permitivity?

The value of w in plasma permitivity is a complex number that represents the frequency of the electromagnetic wave passing through the plasma. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is w related to the electric and magnetic fields in plasma?

The value of w in plasma permitivity is directly related to the electric and magnetic fields in plasma. It is used to calculate the permittivity and permeability of the plasma, which are properties that describe how the electric and magnetic fields interact with the plasma.

3. Can the value of w change in different types of plasma?

Yes, the value of w can vary depending on the type of plasma. Different plasma compositions and conditions can affect the frequency of the electromagnetic wave passing through it, resulting in different values of w.

4. How is the value of w determined in experiments?

The value of w in plasma permitivity is typically determined through experiments using specialized equipment such as plasma probes or spectrometers. These experiments involve measuring the electromagnetic waves passing through the plasma and analyzing their frequency components to determine the value of w.

5. What is the significance of w in plasma physics research?

The value of w is an important parameter in plasma physics research as it is directly related to the behavior and properties of the plasma. It is used in various equations and models to study the dynamics and interactions of plasma with electric and magnetic fields, and it plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting plasma behavior in different applications.