Dispersion relation in cylindrical plasma column

In summary: Good luck!In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help solving a dispersion equation involving complex bessel functions in MATLAB. They are looking for someone familiar with surface wave plasma discharges to help them find the zeros of the equation using a numerical root-finding algorithm. They have tried using the "fsolve" command but are not getting accurate results. They are seeking assistance in finding the exact zeros of the equation.
ghasem007
Hi.
is there anyone who is familiar with surface wave plasma discharges?
I want to solve dispersion equation of surface waves in cylindrical plasma column,numerically,to obtain "phase diagram" and "attenuation diagram" from dispersion equation solving.
But this dispersion equation include in bessel functions with complex argument (my unknown in this equation is within bessel argument).
But,in MATLAB this problem can not solve,efficient.
is there anyone who help me?

5 my equation is as following:

I want find all of zeros below equation.
εr*t0*besseli(1,tp*a)*besselk(0,t0*a)+tp*besse lk(1 ,t0*a)*besseli(0,tp*a)=0
where:
tp=√(k^2-εr*k0^2)
t0=√(k^2-k0^2)
k0=ω/c.
c is light velocity,a,ω,εr,k0 are real constant and known.
t0 and tp are in terms of k.k is complex,i.e it has real & imagianry parts.

besseli and besselk are modified bessel functions of first and second type.

in above equation all of quantities are known except k,that k is zero of equation.

i want to find zeros of above,i.e i want find values of k.

by using of "fsolve command" i guess my roots are not perfectly true.
i don't now how find all of zeros in equation exactly.
please help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you need to use a numerical root-finding algorithm to solve your equation. MATLAB has several built-in functions for solving nonlinear equations numerically, such as fsolve and fzero. You could also use an open-source numerical solver such as SciPy or Apache Commons Math.

Related to Dispersion relation in cylindrical plasma column

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave in a specific medium. In the case of a cylindrical plasma column, the dispersion relation describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves within the column.

2. How does a dispersion relation in a cylindrical plasma column differ from other media?

A cylindrical plasma column is a unique medium in that it is highly ionized, meaning that the motion of charged particles (electrons and ions) must be taken into account in the dispersion relation. This leads to different behaviors and properties of waves in a plasma column compared to other media.

3. What factors affect the dispersion relation in a cylindrical plasma column?

The dispersion relation in a cylindrical plasma column is affected by the plasma density, temperature, and magnetic field strength. These parameters determine the behavior and properties of waves in the column, such as their frequency and propagation speed.

4. How is the dispersion relation used in plasma physics research?

The dispersion relation is a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of waves in a cylindrical plasma column. It allows scientists to predict and analyze the properties of waves in a plasma, which is essential in studying plasma phenomena and developing technologies that utilize plasmas.

5. Can the dispersion relation in a cylindrical plasma column be experimentally verified?

Yes, the dispersion relation in a cylindrical plasma column can be experimentally verified through various techniques such as plasma diagnostics and measurements of wave properties. These experiments help to validate theoretical predictions and improve our understanding of plasmas.