What is Maximum Velocity of Mass in SHM Homework?

• Thread starter Resmo112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, the maximum velocity of the mass in a mass-spring system with a displacement function of x(t) = (0.120 m)sin(1.73 t) is 0.208 m/s. This can be calculated using the equation V = ωA, where ω is the angular velocity and A is the amplitude. In this case, ω is 1.73 rad/s.
Resmo112

Homework Statement

The displacement of the mass in a mass-spring system is given by the expression x(t) =(0.120 m) sin(1.73 t). What is the maximum velocity of the mass?*

A.* 0.348 m/s

B.* 0.307 m/s

C.* 0.256 m/s
D.* 0.208 m/s

E.* 0.175 m/s*

Homework Equations

V=omegaA

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guess that's the equation I need to use because the answer is .208 m/s but I don't understand how that works. because one value is the period and the other is the amplitude for that equation to work i need the angular frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can view the equation as x(t) = d*sin(ωt) = d*sin(2πft) where d is the maximum displacement, ω is the angular velocity, f is the angular frequency. In this case, ω = 1.73 rad/s.

that makes sense. You guys have been really great this semester and I really appreciate the help.

Related to What is Maximum Velocity of Mass in SHM Homework?

1. What is the definition of maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

The maximum velocity in SHM is the highest speed that a mass reaches during its oscillations around the equilibrium point. It occurs when the displacement from the equilibrium point is zero and the acceleration is at its maximum.

2. How is maximum velocity related to amplitude in SHM?

The maximum velocity is directly proportional to the amplitude in SHM. This means that as the amplitude increases, the maximum velocity also increases. Similarly, when the amplitude decreases, the maximum velocity decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating maximum velocity in SHM?

The formula for maximum velocity in SHM is Vmax = Aω, where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency. This formula can also be written as Vmax = √(k/m)A, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the oscillating object.

4. Can the maximum velocity in SHM be negative?

Yes, the maximum velocity in SHM can be negative. This occurs when the oscillating object is moving towards the equilibrium point and has a velocity in the opposite direction of its motion. However, the magnitude of the maximum velocity will always be a positive value.

5. How does changing the mass affect the maximum velocity in SHM?

The maximum velocity in SHM is independent of the mass of the oscillating object. This means that changing the mass will not affect the maximum velocity. However, the period of oscillation will be affected by the mass, as a larger mass will have a longer period compared to a smaller mass.