What is it like to witness death for the first time?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, when my parents died, each had a few hours left. I couldn't bear to see them pass and was proud of my father for choosing to die in a Navy nursing facility. My mother seemed to acknowledge my many visits with her, that now she was there for me.
Loren Booda
I have never actually seen somebody die in person. When I said my goodbyes to my parents, each had a few hours left. I felt that I could not endure the stress of seeing them actually pass.

At their time, my father seemed to want to be alone - proud to die in a Navy nursing facility. My mother seemed to acknowledge my many visits with her, that now she was there for me. (Neither parent could speak then).

My father's funeral at Arlington National Cemetery made me so proud of him and appreciate the respect of those present. My mother's was rather perfunctory, kind of like an inside Navy joke.

What is said may be true - nothing can prepare one for death.

Et tu?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never witness someone die but have seen many loved ones before and after. Death is something that is completely natural but seems so completely unnatural when it actually happens to those we love.

I witnessed a terrible, violent accident a few years ago...really close-up, like I had a front-row seat. A 14-year-old boy died in that accident. Granted, it's not the same as sitting bedside as someone passes. But it sure was traumatic, as you can imagine.

I did sit next to my Chocolate Lab, Bonnie, as she died. Took well over an hour, I didn't leave her side for a second. I was surprised how long her heart beat after her breathing stopped. Sure it's not the same as watching a relative die, but anyone who has ever had a dog will understand.

I witnessed a murder, I was actually standing next to the guy as he was dying. He was laying on the sidewalk. Someone shot him with a shotgun from a car driving by in the street. I saw the whole thing. But that does not have the same emotional impact as being with a loved one that is dying. I didn't know this guy.

Yeah, you gun advocates tell me how a guy walking on a sidewalk is supposed to protect himself from some nut that shoots randomly. Carrying a gun is not going to protect you from a shooter. Puhlease. You'd be dead before you knew what hit you.

Evo said:
I witnessed a murder, I was actually standing next to the guy as he was dying. He was laying on the sidewalk. Someone shot him with a shotgun from a car driving by in the street. I saw the whole thing. But that does not have the same emotional impact as being with a loved one that is dying. I didn't know this guy.

Yeah, you gun advocates tell me how a guy walking on a sidewalk is supposed to protect himself from some nut that shoots randomly. Carrying a gun is not going to protect you from a shooter. Puhlease. You'd be dead before you knew what hit you.

Expecting your gun to provide protection against that kind of violence is like expecting your gun to protect you from lightning. Sort of silly, really.

Evo said:

Carrying gun doesn't make you bullet-proof. No question about that.

if someone is determined to get you, it's a little hard to defend against no matter what method they choose.

but plenty of people do get advance warning and are able to defend themselves.

Tsu and I have put down something like 10 animals - all pets that we loved. We never leave their side until we are sure they're gone. There was a period of a few years where all of our pets were old and had to go, one by one. We put down six during that period of time. Even the people at the Vet wanted to cry when they saw us coming. Honestly, it took a real toll on both of us.

I've seen plenty of dead people and a number of bad auto accidents, but I don't know if anyone died in those accidents. The worst accident that I ever saw in Los Angeles had bodies spread out all over the 101 fwy on the approach to the valley pass. But again, I think they were all dead already.

Evo said:

If he thought there was a good chance someone was going to return fire, he would likely not even think about a random shooting like that. A random shooting like that is the act of a coward, and cowards like unarmed victims.

Watched 11 autopsies in the past few years as part of an elective programme in university. I was coping fine for the first 7 but got PTSD after the 8th. She felt from height accidentally and her tragic death triggered some of my deap-seated emotions, together with other stressors during that period, I just couldn't cope. :cry: Luckily I think I'm 99% recovered by now.

I can still recall the causes of death of the 11 autopsies and some of the fine details. Facing natural deaths (eg diseases) is much easier to cope than unnatural/accidental deaths.

And I think as long as one doesn't relate to the deceased person, there won't be any long term consequences.

Related to What is it like to witness death for the first time?

1. What emotions do people typically experience when witnessing death for the first time?

The range of emotions can vary greatly, but some common ones include shock, sadness, fear, and even guilt. It is also possible to feel a sense of numbness or detachment as a coping mechanism.

2. Is it common to have physical reactions when witnessing death for the first time?

Yes, it is not uncommon to experience physical reactions such as nausea, dizziness, or even fainting. These reactions are often a result of the intense emotional response to witnessing death.

3. How does witnessing death for the first time affect people in the long term?

It can have a lasting impact on individuals, as they may struggle with feelings of grief, anxiety, and even post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Some may also have difficulty processing their emotions and may benefit from seeking professional support.

4. Are there any coping mechanisms that can help with the experience of witnessing death for the first time?

Everyone copes with death differently, but some common coping mechanisms include talking to a trusted friend or family member, seeking therapy, participating in support groups, and engaging in self-care activities such as exercise and relaxation techniques.

5. Is there anything that can prepare someone for witnessing death for the first time?

While it is impossible to fully prepare for the experience, some individuals may find it helpful to educate themselves on the process of death, talk to others who have gone through a similar experience, and have a support system in place to lean on during and after the event.