What is it like persewing software engineering?

In summary: Your GPA is 2.98 and have A.Sc. with minor in math and what skills I can improve on?You could improve your writing skills by attending writing workshops or taking online writing courses. Additionally, you might want to review specific grammar rules or learn how to better construct a thesis or argument.
Luongo
i hear it's like electrical engineering and computer sciences both which i am interested in. i have an interest in computers and mathematics. how is the program i am enrolled to be in the electrical and computer engineering program at UBC, it is a physics heavy courseload etc... i get A+ in integration calculus and B+ in linear algebra and i am a failure in english/philosophy courses i can't write papers that good, but I am pretty good at reports. does anyone know what it would be like for me and any tips my GPA is a 2.98 and have A.Sc. with minor in math and what skills i can improve on? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"i hear it's like electrical engineering and computer sciences both which i am interested in."

That's a common misconception. Software engineering really has only to do with designing software... it doesn't really have anything in common with CS or EE, other than the common thread of "computers".

"i have an interest in computers and mathematics."
You would be good for SE, CE, CS, or EE.

Work on your writing. If it's anything like this post, you will need it in any college discipline.

AUMathTutor said:
"i hear it's like electrical engineering and computer sciences both which i am interested in."

That's a common misconception. Software engineering really has only to do with designing software... it doesn't really have anything in common with CS or EE, other than the common thread of "computers".

I basically agree, but I would add that software engineering is mostly about human communication. The hard part isn't the programming. It's the requirements gathering, allocating resources, resolving conflicts...

"The hard part isn't the programming. It's the requirements gathering, allocating resources, resolving conflicts..."

Designing software *is* doing the requirements, resources, and communication.

I think the word you're thinking of is "implementation".

Luongo said:
i hear it's like electrical engineering and computer sciences both which i am interested in.
Luongo, you appear to be talking about computer engineering, not software engineering. The Association of Computing Machinery recommends curricula for five different (but obviously related) disciplines: Computer engineering, computer science, information systems, information technology, and software engineering. They define computer engineering as "a discipline that embodies the science and technology of design, construction, implementation, and maintenance of software and hardware components of modern computing systems and computer-controlled equipment."

AUMathTutor said:
Work on your writing. If it's anything like this post, you will need it in any college discipline.
AuMathTutor was being nice. You really need to work on your writing. Good writing skills are a nice-to-have in college. They are a necessity if you want to succeed after college.

Related to What is it like persewing software engineering?

1. What is software engineering?

Software engineering is the application of engineering principles to the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It involves the use of various programming languages, tools, and methodologies to create efficient and reliable software solutions for various applications.

2. What skills are required for software engineering?

Some key skills required for software engineering include programming proficiency in multiple languages, problem-solving abilities, creativity, attention to detail, knowledge of algorithms and data structures, and the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

3. What is the typical day like for a software engineer?

A typical day for a software engineer may involve designing and writing code, debugging and troubleshooting issues, attending team meetings, collaborating with other team members, and learning new technologies. The specific tasks and responsibilities may vary depending on the project and stage of development.

4. What are the common challenges faced in software engineering?

Some common challenges faced in software engineering include managing complex and changing requirements, ensuring software scalability and performance, debugging and fixing errors, meeting tight deadlines, and working with constantly evolving technologies.

5. What are the different career paths in software engineering?

There are various career paths in software engineering, such as software developer, software architect, quality assurance engineer, project manager, and data scientist. Each of these roles involves different responsibilities and requires different skill sets, but they all contribute to the development and maintenance of software systems.