What is Gravity? Exploring the Forces of Attraction

• Thread starter Sam Ku.D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, your theory about gravity is not correct. Gravitation is due to the attraction between masses and is not based on any "electron reserve".
Sam Ku.D
I have been wondering about this for a while! What exactly is GRAVITY? How does it work?? How are things pulled towards the earth? or any other mass??
So I came up with a kind of a theory about this! If you don't mind!
As you know the Earth is a huge electron reserve. As every matter is made up of protons and electrons! Right? My suggestion is that the Earth attracts other masses as there is a force of attraction between the Earth(electron reserve) and the mass as every mass contains positively charged protons. But the problem is, why do every things have the same acceleration due to gravity? Its 9. something right? why is it the same?
So I would be very glad if you could give your own opinions about this! And correct me if I am wrong! And tell me what Gravity is in your opinion!
Thank you
~ Sam Ku.D~

Physics news on Phys.org
Sam Ku.D said:
But the problem is, why do every things have the same acceleration due to gravity?

Welcome to PF :wink:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2211980#post2211980 explains why acceleration of gravity is a constant.

And for the Gravity's reality, I think This article from Wikipedia explains How gravity actually work.

Likes Cliff Hanley
but why are masses attracted towards one another? o_O

Sam Ku.D said:
but why are masses attracted towards one another? o_O

I don't think anybody knows. According to Einstein's general relativity, gravity isn't even a "force" that attracts or repels or anything. It's the curvature of space, which is caused by the presence of mass.
Why does mass curve space? I don't think anybody knows that either.

Likes Cliff Hanley
as u have known, most of masses is neutral,because they have the same amount of protons and electrons.so, what i want say is that maybe u must give up your opinion. if you had learned universal gravitation, u would find the reason is the mass itself. if u want to know the deeper reason, maybe u should learn something about relativity theory.

Sam Ku.D said:
I have been wondering about this for a while! What exactly is GRAVITY? How does it work?? How are things pulled towards the earth? or any other mass??

The basics of gravity can be found on plenty of websites online. Wikipedia is a good place to start.

So I came up with a kind of a theory about this! If you don't mind!
As you know the Earth is a huge electron reserve. As every matter is made up of protons and electrons! Right? My suggestion is that the Earth attracts other masses as there is a force of attraction between the Earth(electron reserve) and the mass as every mass contains positively charged protons.

First, please be aware that personal theories are not allowed here at PF per the rules. The forum exists to teach people about current mainstream science, not to discuss non-mainstream theories from either amateurs or professionals.

That being said, your idea is not correct. Gravitation is not due to any "electron reserve". The Earth is, on average, very close to electrically neutral and would not experience any attraction or repulsion.

But the problem is, why do every things have the same acceleration due to gravity? Its 9. something right? why is it the same?

Consider two objects, A and B. A has 1 kg of mass while B has 2 kg's of mass. The force of attraction from the Earth's gravity on object B is twice as much as A because it has twice the mass. However, this added mass also has twice the inertia and will be harder to accelerate. The increased attraction from gravity and the increased resistance to acceleration exactly cancel each other out so that all objects accelerate at the same rate.

You can easily see this by plugging in numbers to the equation F=MA.
Rearrange to A=F/M and you can see that if F doubles and M doubles, then A MUST remain the same since no matter what you plug into F and M the ratio is always the same.

Likes Cliff Hanley
Drakkith said:
Consider two objects, A and B. A has 1 kg of mass while B has 2 kg's of mass. The force of attraction from the Earth's gravity on object B is twice as much as A because it has twice the mass. However, this added mass also has twice the inertia and will be harder to accelerate. The increased attraction from gravity and the increased resistance to acceleration exactly cancel each other out so that all objects accelerate at the same rate.

Rearrange to A=F/M and you can see that if F doubles and M doubles, then A MUST remain the same since no matter what you plug into F and M the ratio is always the same.
A very nice example.That was pretty understandable for a secondary student.:smile:

Last edited:
Drakkith said:

agreed! :biggrin:

adjacent said:
I don't think anybody knows. According to Einstein's general relativity, gravity isn't even a "force" that attracts or repels or anything. It's the curvature of space, which is caused by the presence of mass.
Why does mass curve space? I don't think anybody knows that either.
More accurately, it's curvature of space-time. This is an important detail. The concept as I understand it, which is not hugely, is that a component of the object's movement along its time axis appears to an observer to be acceleration in a spatial dimension. This immediately explains why inertial mass and gravitational mass should be always in proportion (the remarkable coincidence which led Einstein to his theory).

This might be a little aside from the topic, but gravity is deeply mysterious. The question "why does gravity exist" isn't even considered a scientific question. When a raindrop falls, it doesn't even experience acceleration due to gravity because of its buoyant force.

haruspex said:
More accurately, it's curvature of space-time...

In Einstein's model it's curvature of space-time. But this is just a model, just as "gravity is a force" is part of Newton's model. No one knows *exactly* what gravity is, and they might never know. How could you ever know that you had the final answer?

Drakkith said:
First, please be aware that personal theories are not allowed here at PF per the rules. The forum exists to teach people about current mainstream science, not to discuss non-mainstream theories from either amateurs or professionals.
Drakkith is correct, this thread is closed.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is Gravity? Exploring the Forces of Attraction

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

How does gravity work?

Gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. The more massive an object, the more it warps the space around it, creating a "well" that other objects fall into. This is what we experience as gravity.

Why do objects fall towards the Earth?

Objects fall towards the Earth because of the gravitational pull that the Earth exerts on them. The Earth's mass creates a "well" in space that objects fall into, and this pull is what we experience as gravity.

Can gravity be explained by a single theory?

Currently, gravity is explained by the theory of general relativity, which was proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. This theory combines the concept of gravity as a curvature of space and time with the laws of motion proposed by Isaac Newton.

Does gravity exist everywhere in the universe?

Yes, gravity is a fundamental force that exists everywhere in the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, and it affects the motion of all objects with mass. However, the strength of gravity may differ depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved.