What Is Fractional Calculus and How Does It Work?

In summary, fractional calculus is a new way of doing calculus that is used to analyze frequency information.
ssayani87
Fractional Calculus...? What??

I came across this Wiki article a couple of days ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_calculus

As a student who just finished an undergrad major in math, the idea of a "fractional derivative" or "fractional integral" is mind blowing! Up until I read the article, I pretty much thought that the differential and integral operators were "fixed."

Let f:R -> R be a fcn.

Geometrically speaking, if the derivative of a fcn f at a point p in its domain is the rate of change of the fcn at that point and the integral of a fcn over an interval in the domain is the "area under the curve," how can I interpret the fractional derivative and fractional integral?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi ssayani87,

I have first of all to admit that I am not an expert in this topic. However when I posed the same question to myself I came across http://www.maa.org/joma/Volume7/Podlubny/GIFI.html" that looked quite interesting.

Hopefully someone more competent than me here in PF will add more useful information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do a forum search and you will come across a couple of threads here.

ssayani87 said:
Geometrically speaking, if the derivative of a fcn f at a point p in its domain is the rate of change of the fcn at that point and the integral of a fcn over an interval in the domain is the "area under the curve," how can I interpret the fractional derivative and fractional integral?

This is incorrect. The "rate of change at a point" is more the physical interpretation of the derivative. That's why velocity is defined as rate of change of position. The geometrical interpretation is "slope of the tangent at that point", and then we associate "rate of change" to that.

While I agree Podulbny's "shadows on the wall" is a good geometrical interpretation, still not a physical interpretation, which is what we want.

I remember vaguely reading about this before and how fractional calculus was used to explain a way of interpolation in analyzing frequency information in the way that Fourier analysis is done.

I can't remember the exact website, but perhaps you could look for websites talking about fractional calculus with respect to analyzing frequency information.

It had to do with idea of analyzing differentials of trigonometric functions, and if you think about d/dx sin(x) = cos(x) and d/dx cos(x) = -sin(x) but it's what happens in-between is what you need to pay attention to.

Related to What Is Fractional Calculus and How Does It Work?

What is Fractional Calculus?

Fractional calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of fractional derivatives and integrals. It extends the traditional calculus, which deals with integer powers of derivatives and integrals, to non-integer powers.

Why is Fractional Calculus important?

Fractional calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, finance, and biology. It allows for a more accurate and precise modeling of real-world phenomena that cannot be described using traditional calculus.

What are the basic concepts in Fractional Calculus?

The basic concepts in Fractional Calculus include fractional derivatives, fractional integrals, and fractional differential equations. Fractional derivatives are defined as the derivatives of non-integer order, while fractional integrals are their inverse operations. Fractional differential equations involve fractional derivatives and are used to model various physical and natural phenomena.

How is Fractional Calculus different from traditional calculus?

The main difference between Fractional Calculus and traditional calculus is the use of non-integer powers in derivatives and integrals. Traditional calculus only deals with integer powers, while Fractional Calculus extends this to non-integer powers, allowing for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of complex phenomena.

What are some real-world applications of Fractional Calculus?

Fractional Calculus has numerous real-world applications, including modeling viscoelastic materials, signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fractional control systems. It is also used in financial mathematics to model stock prices and in biology to describe the growth of cells and tissues.