Fractional Calculus: Integration & Differentiation Explained

In summary, fractional calculus is the integration and differentiation of fractional orders, but there is no geometric interpretation for derivatives of fractional order.
deepurple
I am interested in fractional Calculus which means integration and differentiation of an arbitrary or fractional order. But I am confused about the geometric meaning. We know that 1st derivative gives us a slope but what about 1/2th derivative. How can we describe this kind of derivatives or integrations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also interested in this,

Welcome to PF forums deepurple.

I hope people'll take the time to respond.

Hello. As far as I know there is no geometric interpretation for a derivative of fractional order.

luisgml_2000 said:
Hello. As far as I know there is no geometric interpretation for a derivative of fractional order.

It turns out that for every power of fractional derivative there is a fractal function whose fractional derivative at that order is a constant, equal to the fractal dimension of the curve!

By a fractal function I mean a Weistrauss type continuous function that is nowhere differentiable in the traditional sense and which has a non-integer dimension in the sense of Hausdorf.

Incidentally fractional-calculus should be called non-integer calculus, since the index of the differential operator can be any complex value! A further generalization is possible by considering functions of the differential operator that cannot be represented as polynomials, i.e. F(d/dx), the most common of which is exp(d/dx), which acts as translation by one unit on real-valued functions:

[tex]e^{\frac{d}{dx}}f(x) = f(x + 1) [/tex]

I always vote for this one to go on the t-shirts instead of e^{i pi} + 1 = 0.

ExactlySolved said:
It turns out that for every power of fractional derivative there is a fractal function whose fractional derivative at that order is a constant, equal to the fractal dimension of the curve!

Wow. I would never have imagined that fractals and fractional (or 'complex order') calculus have anything to do. It's quite interesting.

Hello,
I know this thread is very old, but perhaps http://www.maa.org/joma/Volume7/Podlubny/GIFI.html" might provide useful information related to geometric interpretations of fractional integration/derivative to anyone coming upon this page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Fractional Calculus: Integration & Differentiation Explained

1. What is fractional calculus?

Fractional calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with integrals and derivatives of non-integer order. It extends the traditional calculus concepts of integration and differentiation to non-integer or fractional orders, allowing for a more precise and flexible analysis of systems and functions.

2. How is fractional calculus different from traditional calculus?

Fractional calculus differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with fractional orders, whereas traditional calculus only deals with integer orders. This allows for a more nuanced analysis of systems and functions that may not behave in a strictly linear or smooth manner.

3. What are some applications of fractional calculus?

Fractional calculus has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is often used to model complex systems and phenomena that exhibit non-linear behavior, such as viscoelasticity, diffusion processes, and fractals.

4. How is fractional integration and differentiation performed?

Fractional integration and differentiation are performed using special operators, such as the Riemann-Liouville operator and the Grünwald-Letnikov operator. These operators are defined in terms of traditional integration and differentiation, but with non-integer orders.

5. Are there any limitations to using fractional calculus?

While fractional calculus can be a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that the theory is not yet as well-developed as traditional calculus, so there may be some uncertainty in using it for certain applications. Additionally, there may not be closed-form solutions for some problems, requiring numerical methods instead.