What is a proof of set theory problems?

In summary, for the given problem, we are looking at the relationship between subsets A and B and the union and intersection operations. The first statement states that A is a subset of B if and only if the union of A and B is equal to B. The second statement says that A is a subset of B if and only if the intersection of A and B is equal to A. We are then asked to prove that for subsets of a universal set U, if B is a subset of the complement of A, then the intersection of A and B is an empty set. This can be deduced by taking complements and using the fact that the union of A and B must equal U. From this, we can also ded
congtongsat
Problem:

(i)A[tex]\subseteq[/tex]B [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cup[/tex]B = B
(ii) A[tex]\subseteq[/tex]B [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = A

and

For subsets of a universal set U prove that B[tex]\subseteq[/tex]A[tex]^{c}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = empty set. By taking complements deduce that A[tex]^{c}[/tex][tex]\subseteq[/tex]B [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cup[/tex]B = U. Deduce that B = A[tex]^{c}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = empty set and A[tex]\cup[/tex]B = U.

Can't wrap my head around the last question at all. The i and ii seem simple but I'm just not getting it to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
(i) If A is empty, claim is true trivially. If it's not, then take an element of A, [tex] x \in A [/tex].

Suppose A is a subset of B. What does this mean for x? Use the definition of the cup operation :) Then suppose [tex] A \cup B = B [/tex] and do the same.

For (ii) you might want to assume that A is not empty because the thing you're trying to prove does not generally hold if both A and B are empty (mathematicians are weird...)

For the last bit, use again some element of b, [tex] y \in B [/tex]. Show that if [tex] y \in A^c [/tex] then it can't be in A.

Related to What is a proof of set theory problems?

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects, called sets, and the relationships between these sets.

2. What is a Set Theory Proof?

A Set Theory Proof is a logical argument that uses the axioms and rules of set theory to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem about sets.

3. Why are Set Theory Proofs important?

Set Theory Proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and formal way to verify the truth or falsehood of statements about sets. They also serve as the foundation for many other areas of mathematics.

4. What are some common techniques used in Set Theory Proofs?

Some common techniques used in Set Theory Proofs include set inclusion, set operations, and proofs by contradiction.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Set Theory Proofs?

Yes, Set Theory Proofs have applications in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, and physics. They are also used in cryptography and data compression algorithms.