What is a good linear actuator that has force feedback?

In summary, there are linear actuators available that allow for specific control of the applied force and provide position feedback. However, these may require a force transducer or a controller with dual feedback options. These actuators may not be as popular due to factors such as precision and accuracy requirements, as well as potential confounding factors such as friction and backlash. It is possible to achieve this functionality, but it may require a specialty or custom solution.
vtechno1729
Where can I find one of these? That is, are there linear actuators where I can specify the force it should apply and it gives me back exactly how much force was applied? Are there any linear actuators that can do this and also give me position feedback, i.e., where my object is after it has been pushed? Why are these unpopular, when force feedback seems like such an obvious requirement? I want to be able to specifically control the force that my actuator applies to my object.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will depend on your precision and accuracy requirements for the force measurement, typically this would achieved with a force transducer mounted to the linear actuator. In some cases (like with a DC servo motor) the electrical power & torque applied to the motor can be related to the force applied, but it will be confounded by the friction and backlash within the stage.

Maybe be more specific with your requirements of what you are trying to do. It certainly can be done. You are really looking for a controller that has dual feedback options. You are just looking for something specialty or custom is all.

Related to What is a good linear actuator that has force feedback?

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a mechanical device that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It typically consists of a motor, a lead screw, and a nut or ball screw mechanism. Linear actuators are commonly used in various applications such as robotics, medical equipment, and industrial machinery.

2. What is force feedback in a linear actuator?

Force feedback in a linear actuator refers to the ability of the actuator to provide a physical response or resistance when an external force is applied to it. This allows for more precise and controlled movements in applications that require force sensing and feedback.

3. What makes a good linear actuator with force feedback?

A good linear actuator with force feedback should have a high force-to-size ratio, meaning it can produce a significant amount of force in a compact size. It should also have accurate and sensitive force sensing capabilities, as well as a robust and reliable feedback mechanism.

4. What are the benefits of using a linear actuator with force feedback?

Using a linear actuator with force feedback can improve the overall performance and precision of a system. It allows for more accurate and controlled movements, making it ideal for applications that require precise force control, such as in surgical equipment or industrial automation.

5. How do I choose the right linear actuator with force feedback for my application?

When choosing a linear actuator with force feedback, consider factors such as the required force and stroke length, the speed and accuracy needed, and the environment in which it will be used. It is also important to consider the quality and reliability of the actuator, as well as its compatibility with other components in the system.