What is a course in math modeling like compared to physics?

In summary: It covers topics unrelated to physics, like economics and sociology. It would be interesting to see a newer syllabus, as the field of mathematical modeling has evolved a lot in the last decade or so.In summary, a mathematical modeling course is focused on applying mathematics to real-world situations.
Vitani11
In a mathematical modeling course (intended for applied mathematics majors at my school) you apply math to real life situations. I am a physics major so I know what goes on there, but how is math modeling different?

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
In a mathematical modeling course (intended for applied mathematics majors at my school) you apply math to real life situations. I am a physics major so I know what goes on there, but how is math modeling different?
Is it about modelling with math or models in math?

For mathematical modeling, you may be asked to model a control system for how the body (healthy or diabetic) regulates blood sugar. An interesting problem but it has little to do with physics. You might be asked to model interactions between various populations with different culture and characteristics competing in a given area. Another interesting problem but it has little to do with physics.

Get the point. There are many applications of mathematics that do not involve physics.

Obviously. Was just wondering what type a math modeling course covered. You answered and added an extra "Get the point" which is pathetic. But thank you for the first part.

Vitani11 said:
Was just wondering what type a math modeling course covered.
I remember a post in which a member asked, whether there is a sort of a lexicon where all differential equations used in the various realms were listed. I named a few which came to my mind, many within but even more apart from physics, and soon realized, that such a book would be of multiple volumes.

Course on Mathematical Modeling? Course just dedicated to how to decide on and make a Mathematical Model?

You have some two-dimensional data points of temperature haze point and concentrations of alcohol corresponding to each. Maybe plotting these points will give a pretty graph. Once the graph is made, the points appear to suggest maybe a degree-two polynomial function. Maybe you would like to find a good approximation for this function.

Sorry about the "get the point". Reading the post again, I see how I was harsh. I did not mean for it to be interpreted that way. I will be more careful in the future. I apologize.

You want to know what a Mathematical Modeling course covers?
Well, here's a sample syllabus for an equivalent course offered at Illinois Tech: https://science.iit.edu/sites/science/files/elements/am/courses/syllabus_math_486_sp12.pdf

The course in the link sounds interesting. It was given in 2009,, a long time ago

Related to What is a course in math modeling like compared to physics?

1. What is the main difference between a course in math modeling and physics?

A course in math modeling focuses on using mathematical techniques and tools to analyze and solve real-world problems, while physics is a natural science that studies the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. Do I need a strong background in math to succeed in a math modeling course?

While a basic understanding of math is necessary, a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus will be beneficial in understanding and applying the concepts in a math modeling course.

3. Are there any similarities between math modeling and physics?

Both fields use mathematical principles to understand and explain real-world phenomena. However, while physics focuses on physical laws and theories, math modeling can be applied to a wider range of fields and problems.

4. Will I be using specific software or programming languages in a math modeling course?

It depends on the course and the instructor's preferences. Some courses may require the use of software such as MATLAB or R for data analysis and modeling, while others may focus on manual calculations and problem-solving.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in math modeling compared to physics?

Both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities, such as data analysis, financial modeling, and research. However, a background in math modeling may be more beneficial in fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science, while a background in physics may lead to careers in research and academia.