What is a basis for the row, column, and null space of matrix A?

Anyway, the reason to do this is that it's easier to write down a basis for the null space in vector form. Typically, the basis vectors are the columns of the matrix you get when you do the row reduction. If you do the row reduction and then write down the basis vectors, you'll find that the basis vectors we found are the same ones you get from the row reduced matrix.
dcramps

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix A:

1 4 5 0 9
3 -2 1 0 -1
-1 0 -1 0 -1
2 3 5 1 8

(Sorry I don't know how to do TeX matrices on this site)

Find a basis for the row, column, and null space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reduced to row echelon form, which got me:
1 0 1 0 1
0 1 1 0 2
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0

Row space:
I took all non-zero rows to be the vectors for the row space

Column space:
I found the columns from the ref version that were linearly independent.
v1 = [ 1 0 0 0 ]
v2 = [ 0 1 0 0 ]
v3 = [ 1 1 0 0 ]
v4 = [ 0 0 1 0 ]
v5 = [ 1 2 0 0 ]

v1+2*v2 = v5, so those 3 are dependent.
v1+v2 = v3, so those 3 are dependent.

Only v4 is independent since no combinations of the others are equal to it, and no combination of it is equal to any of the others, so I just take v4 as the column space? A bit confused here but that is my understanding.

Null space:
in row echelon

x1 = -x3 -x5
x2 = -x3 -2x5
x4 = 0

So x3 and x5 are the 'free variables' but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
dcramps said:

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix A:

1 4 5 0 9
3 -2 1 0 -1
-1 0 -1 0 -1
2 3 5 1 8

(Sorry I don't know how to do TeX matrices on this site)

Find a basis for the row, column, and null space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reduced to row echelon form, which got me:
1 0 1 0 1
0 1 1 0 2
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0

Row space:
I took all non-zero rows to be the vectors for the row space

Column space:
I found the columns from the ref version that were linearly independent.
v1 = [ 1 0 0 0 ]
v2 = [ 0 1 0 0 ]
v3 = [ 1 1 0 0 ]
v4 = [ 0 0 1 0 ]
v5 = [ 1 2 0 0 ]

v1+2*v2 = v5, so those 3 are dependent.
v1+v2 = v3, so those 3 are dependent.

Only v4 is independent since no combinations of the others are equal to it, and no combination of it is equal to any of the others, so I just take v4 as the column space? A bit confused here but that is my understanding..
No, of course, not. Saying that v1, v2, and v3 are dependent only means that you don't need all three of them, not that you don't need any. Also it makes no sense to say that a single vector, like v4, is "independent". Sets of vectors are "independent" or "dependent". The fact that v3 and v5 can be written in terms of v1 and v2 means that you don't need v3 and v5. The set {v1, v2, v4} is the basis.

Null space:
in row echelon

x1 = -x3 -x5
x2 = -x3 -2x5
x4 = 0

So x3 and x5 are the 'free variables' but I'm not sure where to go from here.
So [x1, x2, x3, x4, x5]= [-x3- x5, -x3- 2x5, x3, 0, x5]= [-x3,-x3, x3, 0, 0]+ [-x5, -2x5, 0, 0, x5]
= x3[-1, -1, 1, 0, 0]+ x5[-1, -2, 0, 0, 1].

Those are your basis vectors.

HallsofIvy said:
No, of course, not. Saying that v1, v2, and v3 are dependent only means that you don't need all three of them, not that you don't need any. Also it makes no sense to say that a single vector, like v4, is "independent". Sets of vectors are "independent" or "dependent". The fact that v3 and v5 can be written in terms of v1 and v2 means that you don't need v3 and v5. The set {v1, v2, v4} is the basis.
Ah, right. That makes much sense. Thank you :)

HallsofIvy said:
So [x1, x2, x3, x4, x5]= [-x3- x5, -x3- 2x5, x3, 0, x5]= [-x3,-x3, x3, 0, 0]+ [-x5, -2x5, 0, 0, x5]
= x3[-1, -1, 1, 0, 0]+ x5[-1, -2, 0, 0, 1].

Those are your basis vectors.

So you're just calculating [-x3- x5, -x3- 2x5, x3, 0, x5], then splitting it up into terms of x3 and x5, then factoring out?

dcramps said:
So you're just calculating [-x3- x5, -x3- 2x5, x3, 0, x5], then splitting it up into terms of x3 and x5, then factoring out?
Yeah. He's just expressing the solution to the null space equations in vector form. Some people find it confusing because x3 and x5 play two roles here: one as a coordinate and the other as an arbitrary constant. As you noted, x3 and x5 are your free variables, so they can take on any value. Let's say x3=a and x5=b. Once these two are chosen, the rest of the coordinates are determined by the equations you found, so you get:

[tex]\begin{align*}
x_1 &= -x_3-x_5 = -a-b \\
x_2 &= -x_3-2x_5 = -a-2b \\
x_3 &= a \\
x_4 &= 0 \\
x_5 &= b
\end{align*}[/tex]

In vector notation, you can write this as

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x_1\\x_2\\x_3\\x_4\\x_5\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}-a-b\\-a-2b\\a\\0\\b\end{pmatrix}=a\begin{pmatrix}-1\\-1\\1\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}+b\begin{pmatrix}-1\\-2\\0\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The reason to write it like that is now you can explicitly see that the null space is spanned by the two vectors (-1,-1,1,0,0) and (-1,-2,0,0,1).

Related to What is a basis for the row, column, and null space of matrix A?

What is a row space?

A row space is the set of all linear combinations of the rows in a matrix. It can also be thought of as the span of the rows in a matrix.

What is a column space?

A column space is the set of all linear combinations of the columns in a matrix. It can also be thought of as the span of the columns in a matrix.

What is a null space?

A null space is the set of all solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax = 0, where A is a matrix. It can also be thought of as the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the given matrix.

What is the relationship between row and column spaces?

The row space and column space of a matrix are related by the row reduction process. The pivot columns in the row-reduced form of a matrix form a basis for the column space, while the pivot rows form a basis for the row space. Therefore, the dimensions of the row and column spaces are always equal.

How can row, column, and null spaces be used in practical applications?

Row, column, and null spaces are important concepts in linear algebra that have many practical applications. For example, they can be used to solve systems of linear equations, find solutions to differential equations, and analyze complex networks. They are also used in data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.